Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Band Pictures.......ugh!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by courderoy guy, Mar 26, 2004.

1. I need to vent. My band is taking band pictures this weekend. Things started out okay, cuz I understand that we need some photos for press stuff, flyers, posters, etc.......but -

- they soon began repeatedly urging an "all black outfit" that everyone would wear. Matching costumes are a no-no in my book....

- they then scrapped the costume idea, but want to project a "dark" attitude. Frankly, we're a cover band, and our music really isn't that dark. Furthermore, there's not a member in the band, myself especially included, that could possibly be considered goth, punk, or nu-metal.

- they then said all band members need to wear sunglasses for the pics! I personally find sunglasses in band photos to be cheesy.

- Then, the guitar player and drummer decided to wear black scrubs for the gig. the girls in the band are trying to decide whether to spike their hair, etc.

It all makes me want to vomit. The best photos in my book are just normal shots of people hanging around, maybe with a few basic "stand there and stare" shots if needed. I like the people in the band, and like the band itself (i mean, we're going to make a little money playing covers and have fun) but this attitude makes me want to quit!!!

2. I hear you, brother.

I hate taking "group photos," the standing there posing crap, in a room or studio. The nice ones are going out to dinner and getting everyone together outside the restaurant, or getting everyone together while you're loading in.

Gak.

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

OT is for offtopic not music/bass/band stuff. Off to BM&P or Misc.??

Sorry guys if it should be in BM&P.

4. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I feel for you too! I remember going through something like this. We finally decided to just use a pic (on flyers so people would know where our gigs are/when) of us playing. it turned out to be a great photo but it went MIA for some time now (we should use that again actually). What kind of music do you guys play that would make them dress weird?

5. I actually started laughing out loud when I got to the one with the caption "The Namblaphonics." :D

-M

6. I think I've wet myself with laughing so much... page 2 bottom right, the guys with the spiked hair and make up.. the caption was tremendous.. " Hey we're completely out of ideas ! "

Stu

7. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Page three on the left, right above the NAMBLAphonics: "At that moment, Jeremy realized a band is no kind of place for a fat man." :p

Hmm, That one hit pretty close to home for me.

8. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    And the one where he says (paraphrased for decency) These guys are Canadian? Geddy wept.

I love that line. I'm going to start saying that.

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The worst part of taking band pictures is having a drummer who can't keep a straight face.

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    In my personal history, the worst part of band pics is that there are some people that the camera will never love.

And I am their leader.

In my entire life I have had less than a dozen GOOD pics of me taken. Most of those were all on the same day. I was eight days old.

If you see the post above, about a band being no kind of place for a fat guy...yes, that one. On stage I got by. In pics I'm just the fat guy. Not the bass-playing,lyric-writing,lead-vocalist,boy-that-guy-is-cool-don't-you-wish-you-were-him? guy...just the fat guy.

Sometimes, when people say 'It must suck to be you'...they really mean me. :(

11. My friend I feel your pain ! Although I am smiling, and I love the Haiku

12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

You---are me! :D

That goes on my AIM profile--because it is true :D

13. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
  14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Personally, I think the best photos are of musicians, when they're playing, and ignoring every distraction. Kind of like getting a picture of an animal in its habitat. Everything else just looks contrived...

15. dont have to have your faces on the posters at all. Have a monkey throwing poop at another monkey. Point being, don't be a harvester of mozzarella like 90% of other bands, do something different and have something funny, Its a covers band, its meant to be fun. Too many covers bands take themselves too seriously, and they forget,all they are doing are playing other peoples music, What is there to be serious about? So, have fun, people wanta see fun

16. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Oh my god! The Namblaphonics!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!! :D :D :D

17. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I was afraid to click too deep here for fear of finding a promo shot from some of my old bands! Will have to go back and find the "Namblaphonics," though... hilarious!

:D

18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    [​IMG]

:eek:

[​IMG]

Isn't this that Freekbass guy? :confused:

19. YES! I set that one as my wallpaper. It makes being online very difficult.