Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Band practice with headphones?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Do any of you folks have "silent" jam or practice sessions? In other words, everyone plugs into the mixing board and listens with headphones, no amps used.

I thought of using this setup for my band since none of us have a living arrangement where we can really crank it without disturbing others. The problem is, our drummer would have to purchase a set of electronic drums to patch into the board (they ain't cheap). Luckily, we have a rehearsal space to rent.

I did have a silent jam with another friend and it worked out so well that he bought a mixing board and a headphone amp for future sessions. We could hear each other better than when we use our amplifiers.

2. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I did a fill-in job once for about 10 gigs in two months, where they rehearsed that way. All really good musicians, and oddly enough the drummer played on an electric "multi-pad" instead of real or electric drums. I think it was a DrumKat, just a 3 foot by 2 foot device with several "areas" on it that triggered sounds in a drum machine which was patched through the mixer. He used real drums live, but this device for rehearsing simplicity. Worked well enough.

4. DrewBud

DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    Nashville
    We do a mix of both...if your about to go into the studio headphone rehearsals are a great thing 'cause you are used to how everything sounds that way.

On the flip side...if that's all you do when you get to a gig and can crank up you're not used to that either and it can throw you a bit especially 'cause you're not used to how to blend your sounds using the amps.

There really are benfits to both...but nothings as much fun as feeling the bass shake the walls ;)