Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Band Practice

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by TheTestvb, Jul 7, 2001.

1. TheTestvb

TheTestvb

Jun 21, 2001
    My band is jsut starting we'r about a month old and i think we are realy ocmeing around. We are lacking in efectiveness when we are all togeathere though. I'm going to start planing out what we do at our practices but we'r missing something. I think it would be effective if we all did osme type of scale or some basic group warm up. Anyone have any ideas?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Get some simple grooves to jam over and go from there. This will make sure you get to know each other better as musicians. Record your rehearsal with a tape recorder etc. to check your playing and to conserve good ideas /riffs for later use.

It's a good idea to arrange separate drummer/bassist rehearsals to work on the groove,tight playing and playing off each other.
    Expand on that with the rest of the band.

After warming up, 'WORK' on your songs with full concentration, no noodling when you're talking etc.
    Record new ideas so you can work on them til the next rehearsal.

Don't invite girlfriends and buddies to the rehearsal, they'll distract you, and they'll be bored. After-rehearsal parties and jams are fine and are usually fun.
    Save your beer, pot, etc. for after the rehearsal.

There's probably lot's of more and better tips, but this should get you started.
    It just takes some time and experience to become a good band and write good songs.

3. TheTestvb

TheTestvb

Jun 21, 2001
    Well its been liek this.. Me and the guitarist are best friends so we hang out normaly so we get togeather alot and work on the guitar/bass parts and we will probly have to write the drum parts also

4. Well.. here's how i do it with my band..

first we write some guitar-parts.
    then the drummer comes up with some ideas.
    Then it's my turn ( woohoo !! ), to come up with some basslines for the song

and if it sounds ok, we use our harddisk-recorder, and give a MP3 to the lead singer, who'll blend in some vocals.

and 9 out of 10 times the song gets adjusted to the vocals afterwards..

but during rehearsal i think it's best to have a bassline and guitar-parts ready, and play them.. the drummer will try to keep up, and voilla.. you have the bottomline of a song..