Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

band problems... what should i do?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dmaki, Feb 25, 2002.

1. a) put up and shut up

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. b) hope it'll get better

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. c) get out of it

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. d) other -- specify

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    i just joined this band, or will-be-a-band if you will. these 2 guitarists have been playing together for a few months and their original bass player got phased out cuz he's busy starting his own label. so i met one of the kids and i've practiced with them a few times. the first time was fun but i didn't really know what was going on because i didn't know their songs. however, they don't have a drummer and don't have any lyrics yet. the songs are of the pop-punk and "emo" variety mostly, which i used to listen to alot so i'm ok with it, but with the dual guitars it limits me to what i can play. so i'm wondering what i should do...

a) put up and shutup, just play 8th note roots and bore myself to death
    b) hope that songs that i help them write will incorporate more interesting bass parts
    c) just get out of it

this is the first band i've been in (or kinda-been in if you don't consider it a band) so i'm not sure if i should just be more lenient and let it flow or if i should be anal about my parts

thanks,
    dave

2. Flash

Flash

Feb 3, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    Find them a good drummer and then it will be your band too....then you can dictate more...take some control or get out

3. There's a lot you can do even through a wall of two guitarist's.
    Since this is your first band you shoud keep trying to find a drummer and just stick with it. The least it can turn out as is a learning experience for you. If the other guys hold you back or try to dictate everything you play; get out.
    Remember, a band is held together by equality. If that equality fails, so will the band.

PS - you got rid of a stingray because it wasn't versatile but you kept the Ibanez? Umm, odd at best.

~Ad

4. I third that :D

look for a drummer( or -ster ), which should change things a lot..

second of all.. ask the guys to sit down with you and go thru the songs with you step by step.
    if they're not willing to get you "into" it, they're not worthy to play with, imo ofcourse.

5. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Play what you want to play, ask them for the key and the root notes, then improvise :D

6. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Untill it becomes boring for you. Two guitarist isnt that hard to get around, just keep playing around while listening to there lines and you should be able to come up with stuff no prob. A guitarist and Keyboardist combo is a little trickier(Its what my band has) becuase the Keyboards do both melody and harmony. Just play around with what harmonizes with what they do. Play what you feel suits the song.

7. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    well, to get past te two guitarists thing, i dunno if this would work for you, but i just speant some time learning some hard/impressive riffs and songs, and a lot of slappin, and at a practice, i played some of it, and impressed them. they now have a lot more respect for the bass, one is even getting me to teach him to play it now, and i have a lot bigger part in the songs, and in writing the songs.

8. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    so i guess that would be "other"

9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    There is no reason you should have to stick to root notes just because there are two guitar players. Why would dual guitarists limit what you can play? I've played in bands with two guitarists and never just played the root (unless a particular song needed that). Lynyrd Skynyrd had 3 guitarists, and Leon Wilkinson played some very cool bass lines. Aerosmith has two guitarists and Tom Hamilton plays some great bass lines. There are many other examples in other styles of music. Just play what you think is right for the song. If the guitar players don't like what you play, then maybe you should consider finding another band, but if you think you have to stick to root notes just because there are two guitarists, then you are mistaken.

10. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    that was before i realized the versatility of my amp... i feel dumb for returning it now, i'm in withdrawl from it *sigh*... as soon as i get the cash i think i'm gonna pick up a stingray

dave

11. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    thanks for all your replys... the one guitarist has been willing to show me all his parts so i can work around them, hopefully whatever i make up will sound good with the other guitarist

12. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    most of the bands i've been in have had two guitarists......and i've never seen it as a problem.

it's up to the gutarists to find complementary parts to play, and you too ! you may have to change your style a bit to match up, but that's what being in a band is about, and if you decide to knock it on the head later, you've gained experience and skills.......

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

You don't have it so bad... at least it isn't 2 guitars and a keyboardist. :)

Seriously though: if I like the song, I don't care how simple the bass line is. I can play root-five country or slam eighth notes through Ramones or AC/DC, and love it just as much as playing lines from McCartney, Jamerson, Flea (etc).

Actually, it isn't just the song: it's how the entire band is playing the song... whether we have the right feel. Hitting the groove is always a thrill, no matter what I'm playing.

14. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    2 guitarists is no problem at all

i currently play in a band with two guitarists and i'm not limited to root notes. i play what i feel is right for the groove. if you can find a good drummer that you really click with then the groove is yours for the taking. i suggest that you listen to what the guitarists are playing and bounce off of that...experiment

-jimbo

15. Maybe I'm the only one who noticed this...and maybe that's because I'm reading it wrong...but, were you talking about being limited to roots because it's pop-punk/emo stuff? As most of us know, that stuff is notorious for such basslines...and not accepting very many deviations.

If that's the case, I say, INNOVATE! Don't be bound by a "style" that is currently sweeping through the masses...being original doesn't always make you famous, but that's not what music is supposed to be about anyway. Just do whatever feels right to you. If you're happy with playing just roots, play just roots. Feel the grrove, use it, and have fun, dude. But if you get bored...fix it.

-Dave

16. i play in a band with 2 guitarist and i know how you feel, but my band started out with me and one of the guitarists so i'm a half frontman.

just come up with basslines you enjoy, if they camplain about it try and come to a comprimise and root bash in a coule of songs, and if they can't even handle that your better off out of there 'cos all they'll do is stunt your growth, so just find yourself another band with people who have respect for bassists (hard to find, but they DO exist :D )

l8rz

Tom

17. JWBass

JWBass

Jul 20, 2001
    Levittown, PA
    I play in a band with 2 guitars and keyboards and I certainly have no problem finding my way around their parts. Bottom line is this, serve the music. The tunes will develop around each members style including the drums when you get 'em. Don't sweat the small stuff. Go in, play your chops and enjoy yourself. :D

18. I also play in a band with two guitarists and it works well. One of the guitarist is also the lead singer so he doesn't play all the time. On the songs he writes, the bass lines are more limited and sterile because he writes more riff based music (and he IS a guitarist;)). The songs I write are a bit more free or have bass lines that are more fun to play.

My advice is to write some songs to the band by yourself. This will hopefully give you more room to play.

And if you chose to leave, don't forget to bring the drummer along to if she/he is good.:)