Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

band problems.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Mar 11, 2001.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    i'm havin a big problem. my band are doin punk and rock, which I love, to listen too. But to play it is just sooooo borin.

i wanna join a band that does like red hot chili peppers type stuff. i asked my band if we can do some of that type stuff but they just said they go on to long.

what shall i do?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  3. Yeah man, it comes down to how much it really bothers you. Look around for a band that plays what you like, and then either quit and join them, or throw your band an ultimatum. But even if your band does play some token songs to keep you, since they were forced to they might resent you for it. On the other hand, it's possible that once they're forced to play the new style they might realize they like it and actually change. Good luck.

4. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    You've got to decide how much you dislike playing the stuff your band is doing at the moment - if your heart's not in it, you're wasting your time. Likewise, if your bandmates are having songs they don't like forced upon them, they're not going to be happy. It's a dilemma, but unfortunately you have to make a decision sooner or later.

5. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    If they are not playing what you want to, and only what they want to then get a new band, all depends on how loyal they/you are.

I know that my band doesn't play any covers, or at least not yet, we got together about two months ago. Since then we have written about 30 soungs, most of which we did in the first three/four weeks together, now we just polish them, and modify the parts to make them better. When we do start to do covers for gigs, we will make sure that everybody wants to do them.