Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Band Prome Photo. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by vegaas, Nov 30, 2003.

1. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Here is my bands promo photo. What do you guys think?
    P.S. Can you guess who I am? ;)

[​IMG]

2. Having half of the band in front of the fence and the other half behind it is a welcome variation on an otherwise tired promo-photo cliché. Having said that, I think that holding instruments in band photos is kinda silly-looking, and your drummer really needs to lose the bling-bling. (You're from Milwaukee, ferchrissakes. ;) )

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    How is Mr. T on drums anyway? Fence, brick wall, train tracks, all are cliche and bad. Lose the instruments and the, as Peter said, bling-bling, and it would be fine.

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Love your T-Shirt and smug expression :D I'm from the camp that thinks instruments are okay in photos, especially since it's not in a playing position...

-robert

5. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Thanks rllefebv, thats my brand spanking new talkbass hoodie.

I wasnt crazy about the fence either, but, it was the photographers idea, and everyone else liked.

I actually dont mind the instruments in pictures. As for our drummer, I have no idea why he wears all necklaces. But he always wears them.

6. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Hmm, I dont know about that Smash. You see alot of bands wearing other bands shirts on stage.

7. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Hah, love the name of the photo Tim. ;)

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    You mean like this? :D

[​IMG]

9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Which came first?

If this doesn't confuse them, nothing will....

[​IMG]

10. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    That one is the best. I have to save that.

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    So I take it the drummer isn't a Wayne Newton fan? shucks :)

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    That's excellent Tim!

13. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    OK, this might work for you...

[​IMG]

14. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North

I like it - subtley humorous!

A local band - this is my favorite promo shot: The South Central Shuffle!

[​IMG]

15. some of you people really have excellent senses of humor; and great photoshop skills to match.

as for the photo, i think the bling-bling is great; adds an unexpected twist. we actually considered posing as rappers in hopes of securing an audience, then throwing them a curveball with the hard prog-rock stuff.

i basically think the pic is cool, a little static, but you could change that with effects to make it look more interesting.

my one overriding complaint is that the girl looks too tame. she's really pretty, but doesn't seem to fit the rest of the crowd with her shirt, tie and hairstyle. i'd go for a harder look, a little smeared eyeshadow, and clothes that scream 'i'm a chick in a band. don't screw with me.'

16. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    dude, it's THAT guy! Don't be that guy!

17. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    as far as shirts with logos go, I'm guilty of wearing one in my band's recent photo. It looks like a Jack Daniels logo shirt, but it's Skynyrd.

18. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Its not a bad picture. I dont care for the fence the advertisment T-Shirt or all the P-Diddy lookin jewlry. I agree with others the ad's on the shirt make it look somewhat unprofessional.

I have mixed emotions on the instruments beingi n the photos. I think it looks cool, but the more professional bands in the Tampa area dont have them in their photos.

I think a good rule of thumb is to dress for the shoot how you would dress for the gig. So if thats how you all dress for the gig, then you're ok because the club ownwer will know what you'll look like on stage.

19. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    What you see in the picture is what you get on stage. I dress the same for going out to the store as I do for onstage. I may buy a new shirt for a gig, but that is about it. I am not one to dress up for gig. Thats me up there, not me trying to be someone else.
    I really like the TB shirt and hoodie that I have. Most people dont notice that its an ad for the site, they just think it is a bass shirt.