Band Promotion

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Mr.Phil, May 2, 2005.

1. Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I was just wondering if anybody knows of inexpensive ways promote a band. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Make friends, lots of friends, preferably friends who are in bands that are somewhat simillar to your band. Go to their shows, and make sure they know about yours. Cross promotion with other bands is great. Try and make friends with bands from other areas and set up gigs with each other for out of town exposure.

When you get gigs promote your a$$es off! Hand out flyers everywhere you can (don't get arrested though, missing gigs cause your in jail is only cool if you are a mega rock star). Make sure everyone you know is aware of the show. Set up caravans for out of town gigs (nothing is more impressive to a club owner than an out of town band that brings fans to the show). Also make friends with people in the audience after a gig. Thank them for coming out, chat, etc. It makes an impression and they'll be more likely to remember your act as one they want to see again.

Get a website, a GOOD website. Make sure it has sound clips, pics, and a list of upcoming gigs. Keep it updated. Print buisness cards for everyone in the band to hand out to all their friends. Make sure the website address is on the cards. Get all your friends' bands to link to your site, and link back to theirs.

Try and get on the radio whenever possible. Most areas have at least one station that does a local music night, get on it.

Just a few ideas off my head that have worked for myself or other bands I know.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Your best friend is a good website, and making sure plenty of people know about it. Keep it simple, or memorable. Buy yourself a domain, not any of that garbage because noone will remember it. .com's are cheap these days, and almost anyone in high school has experience designing web pages.

And then get stickers and put your website on it. Simple as that.
  4. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Oh yeah, stickers, stickers are great. Even better if they are fun and catchy. My old band had some really amusing, if rather dark themed stickers made up with our URL and name on them. On the way to an out of state gig we plastered everything we could get our hands on with them, including a toll plaza on I95. The website got about a 200% increase in traffic the next week...

Not that I'd ever condone anything like that now, defacing public property and such...
  5. ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    Another wya ti Promote your band cheaply ( all; you need is an internet connection ) is this:

Find bands that sound like you, and see if they have a message board/forum. If they do, Advertise yourself on ther, sayign that their fans might like you becuse you play the same type of music, etc.

Also, if you have friends from AIM or any other Instant messenging service that are not in your state ( or far enough away that you can't see them) try to help them promote you outside of your fanbase, like a makeshift street team. My old band Got people in Canada to promote our CD release.