Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Band rehearsal: amp or no amp?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by BassGuyNL, Feb 28, 2005.

1. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    I had a band rehearsal for the first time in months: jazz standards with vocals, piano, trumpet and yours truly on DB, in my music room (about the size of a small living room). No drums.
    After a few tunes, one of the other musicians asks if it would be possible to amplify the DB. I have a Realist on board, but my idea was NOT to use an amp during rehearsals, just for good practice. Also, I fear I might be tempted to use the amp even when playing with less than 3 other musicians. BTW, I could hear myself reasonably well.
    Any ideas? Would you advise not to use it for rehearsals?

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Well, if your other band members had trouble hearing you shouldn't you be responsible and fit into the mix a little better?

Or...just a thought...what about changing seating arrangements?

But do what you need to to fit in the mix. Even amplify.

:)

Joe.

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Before you amplify, you might try repositioning yourself in different parts of the room. I did this not long ago and found that the bass in a corner made a big difference.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I'm alway suspicious when I can hear myself clearly. Acoustically it often means that the sound isn't getting out where it needs to go. With the amp it usually means that the first row is getting a new part in their hair.

If it a drummerless thing, especially, find a better spot (a la mildtree, above) and tell the piano player to lighten up a bit (close the lid or something). There really shouldn't be a need for an amp in that situation.