Band Rehersal Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HardRockZombie, Jul 4, 2002.

1. HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    I'm looking at picking up a new combo amp and I was wondering what the suggested minimal wattage is for practising with a drummer and guitarist.
    I'm not planning on gigging with this amp but just band rehersal.

Also Does any one have anything bad or good to say about Ibanez amps?
  2. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I don't know Ibanez amps... But I am wondering:

What kind of music do you play?

What kind of gear does the guitarist, drummer, and singer have?

How much money can you spend?

Answering these questions will help people to help you.
  3. HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    the guitar players a total newbie i think he's playing a 50- 100 watt amp, noot real sure,
    I have no i dea about the drummers kit.

We'll likely start off playing easy stuff like new punk, a little modern rock, but i'm hoping to bring them around to more pixies style stuff.
  4. HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    and i wanna spend around 300 bucks
  5. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Don't worry about a minimum wattage, wattage does not matter nearly as much as speaker quality and overall sound. A 50w amp could easily be louder than a 100w amp for example.
    As far as Ibanez amps, my understanding is that the Ibanez amps are cheap practice amps that would have a high suck factor when rehearsing with a rock band. For $300 you could get a USED combo that would not only be good enough to make rehearsal fun but you could even gig with it when the time comes. Check the TB classifieds and Ebay to start with.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, I'm going to suspend my standard recommendation, and tell you that 100 or 120 watts might be enough for your stated purpose. An SWR Workingman's 12 is the ideal rig for this, and you could even play a small venue with it, if you had a SABDDI. Used, it should be easy to get one for this price. I think they've gone up since I bought mine, but you ought to be able to get a new one for under $400. The good thing is that you'd have a quality amp with nothing to be embarrassed about.
  7. Munji, I'm quite impressed. I would have guessed a WT... naw, just kidding. Actually the SWR would be great for this application.
  8. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Get a used Peavey 150w combo with a 15" Black Widow; they have had lots of differet model designations overthe past 15 years or so. It's the right price, durable, and loud.
  9. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I would say for $300 you could get some pretty good stuff. Here are a few items I saw on ebay that currently fall inside your price range. I am not familliar with Hartke, but some people dig it... I have tried these others before and found them to be pretty cool. I would bet that any 100 watt combo with a 15" speaker would be loud enough for you initially. The 12" speaker models, you might want to check on a case by case basis.

Good luck.

Fender (BXR):

10. HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    do you think a Behringer BX600 or BX1200 would be enough?
  11. jmanyea

Mar 20, 2002
    St. Louis
    If you already have an amp head, I would just look for a cheap cabinet to leave at your rehersal space and just bring your head and bass to practice.