1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

band related questions

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by thekorean, Apr 25, 2010.

1. thekorean

thekorean

Feb 20, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Okay after our gig yesterday, I have had sometime to collect my thoughts. Overall I feel everyone did excellent. Mainly the one thing I hate about us is that everyone (besides the drummer obviously) just stands there. They are all great musically but they don't move around. Maybe it was because we were on a small stage but even when we are just on the ground or on a larger stage, they tend to just stand there. Would this be the reason why we don't seem to be getting as much of an audience besides parents and friends? Also I don't want to be an attentionwhore but should I step up and move around more and would this maybe get a larger audience? If so, what should I do?

Another thing I noticed is demos. We are charging 7 bucks for a demo with 6 songs on it. They are all originals and sound pretty good in my opinion. Personally, I feel they are overpriced and should maybe be 5 bucks since we are underground. What should we charge for the demo roughly?

Thanks

2. was it your first show? your chemistry will come, just get your gigging "sea legs"

you have to be comfortable with the fact that youre hanging yourself out for everyone to see. each one of you should be able to let your personality show on stage, and if youre genuine and likeable, people will support you.

I'm not a particularily loud or busy person, so i mellow out when i play, and in between songs I like to just sit and eat an apple. Then people are like "***, is this dude eating an apple?" And i just look at them like "Hell yea I'm eating an apple."

Is it going to get me a stadium tour? No, but I don't want one. I just want a full room to watch me eat an apple

3. I've had this problem for years. I used to be in a speed/thrash metal band; pretty aggressive music. People were always like,"What the hell? You got one guy who looks like he's into what he's playing, and four others who may as well be reading a phone book."

Hopefully, if your bandmates hear that comment, or variations of it, enough, they'll realize how important stage presence and energy are to the fans.

4. elzeder

elzeder

Mar 19, 2010
    europe
    hi
    Don t know what you play but if you move around you are not an attentionwhore, and if the others complain ...... them.

Move maybe they ll all get into it

Regarding your demo 5 sounds way better, easier to pay, no change or less, and it feels right
    A good system we have running is a free price, people give what they want with a minimum of let say 1$ or whatever covers the cost of the cds, printing etc..., and if people dig your music you would be surprised what they can pay ;)

5. thekorean

thekorean

Feb 20, 2009
    Massachusetts
    No it is our 3rd together but we have all played out before this.

I would worry about everyone leaving a dollar. Thanks for the input

6. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    Is it possible at the next gig to have someone videotape the performance, so you could play it back at a rehearsal? It would be an easy way to show that your stage show requires a little work. The shows that I've been to that are the most fun are the ones where the band actually looks like they're enjoying the music they're playing, and not just up there because they have to be.

As for local album prices, how is your demo packaged and recorded? That would have more weight on what I'd pay than anything else. But for 5-7 songs, I'd probably try to keep it around $5 (it's an easy "Get two for $10" up sell). Most local albums I've bought in the past couple of years have usually been $10, with the exception of the one I bought this weekend (it was $15 for 12 songs, and very well packaged and recorded).

7. thekorean

thekorean

Feb 20, 2009
    Massachusetts
    we actually had someone film it and we probably will watch it soon.

I feel the demo was recorded well, we may have some of the tracks on myspace soon. I designed the album cover and I feel it came out alright but I feel it is one of those love it or hate it things. It has a case that you find legit CDs in not those cheaper (well they were the same price actually) jewel cases.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    +1

Also, after watching the video, have everyone discuss what the goals of the band are. Make your point but let them do most of the talking. Just like a lawyer, you have to make your case for doing something other than standing still on stage.

Do they want to work on presentation and put on a good show? You're asking them to change and you need to get them to buy into it.

Maybe get some video of a band that you thinks puts on a good stage show and play it for the band. See if they see what you see. If they refuse,well, you have a decision to make.

9. thekorean

thekorean

Feb 20, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I should show them some chili pepper concerts :D

I'll make sure to do that next band practice.

10. honestly, it's hard to get people to buy a cd. i'd rather someone listen to my music, so i'd say just give the demo's away for free or as mentioned above on a donation system.

11. You are right on both points. You and the band need to "mach show!" as the Hamburg audiences used to scream at The Beatles before they understood it's not enough for many audiences to just stand there and play. And I wouldn't pay 7 bucks for your demo CD unless it had the next "Stairway To Heaven" on it. Even then I might pass.

12. I was in a classic rock band where everyone stood still the entire gig. The singer would keep his hands in his pockets. The lead guitarist looked at his fretboard while playing. There was no connection with the audience. That was one of the main reasons I left the group after a short time. I think it is important to connect with the audience! Moving around and showing them that you are into the music you are playing is a big part of that!

13. thekorean

thekorean

Feb 20, 2009
    Massachusetts
    how difficult is it to make stickers and how effective are they in promotion versus other things.

14. Hopefully you can cover your cost for the demo cd, but I have to agree: $7 is overpriced. Maybe even $5; the idea of a demo is to get people interested in your music, so they come to hear you live, not to make a killing on 50 cents worth of plastic. I know, you probably have mucho invested in recording & mixing, but it's a demo..a loss leader, as it were. If you find yourself beating people back with a stick @ $3 or $4, you could consider raising the price, but most bands starting out, or producing themselves, don't have that problem. Raise the interest in, & demand for, what you're playing, & the $$$ will follow.

15. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Places online like Stouse can get you a roll of 1000 full color stickers for under $100 or so. It's really cheap advertising that people will put anyplace and everyplace.

16. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I don't think I've purchased a local band's CD in a "legit" case for some time. The last couple have been either digipaks, jackets or this cool case from a place in Oregon (I think the style of the case was called "arigato"). The CD we just released at church was a jacket style.

17. 60's Bluesman

60's Bluesman

Feb 7, 2010
    Michigan
    whats you definetion of moving around? are we talking walking about a lil or we talking go crazy like angus young type stuff?

18. thekorean

thekorean

Feb 20, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I feel we just need to interact with the crowd more and put on a more exciting show. I think we may start subtle because I think we may lose more fans doing too much thinking we are clowns or something rather than moving around a little.
    Damn idk if thats a good thing. Maybe we should just roll cheap from now on. Seems like we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves.

19. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I was just addressing your use of "legit" for the old jewel case more than anything. If you check, a lot of the digipaks, jackets, recyclable things, etc.. are more economical than a standard jewel case. Especially in the age of digital downloads, the idea of having a "legit" CD is only half of the battle.

20. thekorean

thekorean

Feb 20, 2009
    Massachusetts
    those digipaks are sweet. Will have to look into those. Glad we only did the jewel cases twice as these seem more cost effective. We could go even cheaper and just get the jackets even If we decide to just hand them out.