Band Requests

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Frankie Fender, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender The less notes you play, the more money you make. Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Over the years I've been handed scraps of paper and bar napkins with requests scribbled on them. I collect them and they bring a smile to my face. Does anyone else do this and what was your strangest request?

I think ours was an 8-piece Motown band being asked to play Free Bird...

Requests.jpg

This one not mine, but damn funny.

song.jpg

2. had someone ask if we could play YMCA once.... our drummer said over his mic "Hey do we look like The Village People to you"?

Frankie Fender likes this.
  3. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Classic country band. "Can you play Girl from Ipanema?". BL to band, "In A boys ... " and away we went. Sloppy intro, but we got through it, actually enjoyed it.

Timmy Liam and portpc like this.
  4. A few years back I worked in a duo, We had just finished the epic 'The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" when an older couple entered the restaurant, sat down & the gentleman from the table walked over with a $20 & asked if we knew "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"?.. We thought for sure we were being duped but they had just gotten off the ferry from across the street, So of course we played it again..

Gibson Victory, Timmy Liam and nixdad like this.
  5. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I once had a very, very, very drunk Father Of The Bride at a super famcy venue step over my monitor, forcing me to stop singing the song I was in the middle of doing which made the rest of the band stop playing because it looked like an assault- to shove a cloth napkin in my face on which he had (just barely) written in blue pen "play f$*^/# Thriller right now!!!" and then he turned around and fell over the monitor right onto the dance floor. He laid there long enough to make everyone worry, but leaped right up when we started playing Thriller. I kept that napkin in my glove compartment ofr about a year afterward to show people from other bands.

6. fretlessbass

fretlessbass Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Mid-70's, playing with an R&B band at
    a Steak &Brew in Long Island: Guy walks up, drops some money on keyboard, requests "Mandy", by Barry Manilow--which we didn't play, and told him so.
    Nonetheless, he kept coming up, giving us more money, repeating his request; we kept repeating that we didn't know it; he wouldn't take his money back.
    By last call, he had personally given us $200; we asked him to hang out; as soon as the crowd had cleared out, we figured it out, and performed it for him...hope he got his money's worth!

Fretless1!, Timmy Liam, TWolf and 2 others like this.
  7. think I've posted this in another thread ages ago......
    I was in an all male 4 piece band and we got a request for ABBA Dancing Queen
    in my last band we were playing at a wedding and a female guest (in her 30's) asked if we knew anything from the movie 'Frozen'

but funniest one was we got asked a few years ago if we played the 'Whoo-Hoo song'... all of us in the band were scratching our heads wondering what song he's talking about and the guy just kept yelling out "Whoo-Hoo"... I wondered what drugs he was on, then a few days later I'm listening to the radio and the Blur song - song 2 comes on.... it starts with the opening guitar riff then comes in with "Whoo-Hoo....." I've often wondered if that's the song the guy was asking for...

Winslow likes this.
  8. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Could have been this...

12BitSlab and Frankie Fender like this.
  9. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender The less notes you play, the more money you make. Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I remember that song from Kill Bill.

Winslow likes this.
  10. Sympathy for the Devil?

Frankie Fender likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2021