Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Band saw blade width

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassplayingfool, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Hey, just about ready to start on making my first bass and have a question. What blade width should i use on the band saw, I have 2 options since its not mine. The normal one or an extremely thin one? Sorry for the lack of details, but help me if ya can. Thanks alot. BPF

2. schuyler

schuyler

Aug 5, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    depends on what you're using it for...

are you using it to resaw the neck blank or cut out the body shape? taking extra material off the headstock? it's difficult to make a recommendation without more information, but generally a wider blade will cut thicker material with less deflection, and a thinner blade follows curves better. you can buy a bandsaw blade relatively cheaply though (around $20), so if that won't break the bank, i'd suggest filling in some details of exactly what you're cutting, get some feedback on what others would use, and then drop a few bucks and get the perfect blade for the job. i'm a big believer that every penny spent on a good sawblade is worth two pennies you don't have to spend fixing a bad cut. that being said, i'd use a "normal" blade far more often than an "extremely thin" one. :confused: