1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Band saw question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by NickInMesa, Mar 18, 2009.

1. I wonder if a 3/4 HP band saw will suffice to slice through alder, maple and other types of wood used for guitar bodies and for necks?

What power and model would you recommend? I am shopping for a used one on Craig's.

Do you usually use a band saw to cut the neck?

2. I use a band saw to get the rough cut, and then I use a table router with a template to get it final shape before I start bulking the profile and carve it.

3. JC Basses

JC Basses

Mar 12, 2009
    Rocklin, CA
    I have a 3/4 hp one with a riser and it does fine for any wood 6" thick. It starts having trouble with hard hardwoods if they are thicker than that. So a body and neck wouldn't be a problem, just if you are making bookmatched tops a lot.

4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    No it should work, but you will need a good blade [I like LENOX] a good blade is key even more so on a underpowered and small saw, it'll last longer too.

5. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    I just upped to 1.5 hp.

3/4 will do you well with a riser for a while, but the 1.5 will make life much easier and cleaner.

6. 1.5 HP seems to only be available with a bigger ticket.

I am looking for a decent used one on CL right now.

What would you recommend in the $75-$150 price range? (that's used price)

Thanks!

7. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Tool auctions!

8. Published in the paper?

I will look for one.

9. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Check your local craigslist for not only the tool that you want, but also local auction houses that hold tool sales. Mesa should also have a used tool store that has all sizes of machinery; but I may be spoiled being in Cincinnati ;) - We make the tools that make tools!

10. Gone

Gone

Mar 21, 2006
    Cape Town
    Jayda custom basses, builder
    Sorry old thread, but rather than starting a new thread...

I was perusing the local adds for second hand tools and came across this:
    http://capetown.gumtree.co.za/c-Stuff-for-Sale-general-items-for-sale-BAND-SAW-W0QQAdIdZ123628387

It's somewhat old and not very powerful/big but it's a very good price!

Manufacturer: Duro
    Power: 1/4 hp
    Throat: 10"

Would this saw be useful to me? Cutting bodies? neck tapers? neck depths?
    I won't be doing resawing or book matching.

Cutting the neck depth of a 6 string would be about 100mm / 4" of hardwood. Would this saw cope?

Or should I just stick with my jig-saw.

I'm not planning on spending any significant money on a band saw at the moment, this one is just somewhat affordable!

11. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Yes you can use it for that if it runs..............................

12. powerbass

powerbass Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    When purchasing a bandsaw (used or new) there are a few considerations besides hp. If you want to resaw 8" wide boards successfully, the saw needs to be set up correctly and accurately. That means a new blade, the blade needs to sit properly on the tire/wheels, the wheels need to be "true" meaning balanced and the rubber wheels need to in good shape - some saws have domed rubber, some flat. Significant tears in the rubber isn't good - replacing the rubber is not fun - some require gluing on w/contact cement, then you have to "true" the rubber to the wheel. The next step is to look at the blade guides to make sure the friction blocks or bearings are in good shape - replacing a set of guides can be pricey. The whole saw should be securely weighted down to keep vibration and the pressure of pushing wood through stable - older machines and better quality machines have heavy metal castings to dampen vibration. This is just a few things to consider when looking for a bandsaw.

13. Gone

Gone

Mar 21, 2006
    Cape Town
    Jayda custom basses, builder
    Thanks for the help. It sounds like this guy also has a few hand tools for sale so I think I'll stop by his workshop some time :)