Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Band Sites

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by iriegnome, Jul 27, 2005.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    My band Cosmic Railroad has a great web site. We also run a fan based web site onMy Space. My question is: Do you think that it makes a difference to have your own .com or if myspace.com/cosmic or geocities.com/cosmic? Does it impress anyone these days? Does it make any difference? Just looking for your thoughts :spit:

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I think having a .com really helps... not to impress, but because it is easier to remember. Say your band was called something like, Cosmic Railroad, and your website is http://www.cosmicrailroad.com/.

If I saw your band and was impressed I might go home and type "cosmic railroad" into the address bar. At least in Firefox, this will go to your site. Very easy and I don't have to remember any more than the name of the band.

If your site is http://geocities.com/cosmic, I might find it by googling, or I might just give up.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    P.S. I checked out your web site. Very nice.

How does it work playing with 3 guitars? Do you tend to have two lead players and a rhythm, or one lead and two rhythm, or three leads?

4. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    3 Leads! It is pretty crazy! Since the music leads the band, solo's can be by any one of the three, so I am being directed at all times by three different players. It keeps me on my toes - And is a HELL Of a lot of fun.

5. Sen

Sen

Jul 20, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    That's a cool website. I might have missed it but are there individual bios for each member of the band?

6. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    Having a .com makes all the difference. Geocities is just amateur. It's not expensive to get a .com and I bought my own personal domain name for $5. I paid more for the web site hosting for my band than I did for my own domain, and I host my own site on free webspace from my ISP. Easy!

7. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    We are constantly updating our page. The band really does not believe in individual bio pages. We are a whole. It actually is a pretty unique idea. We do believe our individual parts are good, but together we make some magic :smug:

8. kansas666

kansas666

Sep 20, 2004
    We use Geocities. And it works just fine. Their tools for creating websites are great. We have pictures, schedule and videos on our site.

If the site gets a lot of hits though it shuts down temporarily.

www.geocities.com/nitefirerocks