1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Band split - on to the next one?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by EddiePlaysBass, Jan 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    Yesterday I had a 5 hour "bass camp" (group lesson) which was followed by a band meeting. The meeting had been called by the drummer, following a rather awful gig we did. Long story short: he told us he'd lost his drive. Since the same thing happened only 2 months ago with the guitarist (who ultimately decided to stay), the singer suggested we pull the plug. End of that band.

We weren't all that good, but we had a certain sound and charm to what we did and people responded to it. So I was a bit sad to see it end, especially since I've only been with them for about a year. Learnt 30+ songs in no time in order to get up to speed etc.

Anyway, today I was browsing the ads and found that a band in my old hometown is looking for a bass player. Of the 30+ set list on their site, I am familiar with / have played at some point about 9 songs. Would be pretty easy to brush up on those. I haven't checked the audio or video yet, but they have 15 to 20 gigs a year (via a booking agency) and seem pretty pro in their attitude. Only downside to me is the weekly rehearsals (I prefer every other week due to job requirements).

But I am sitting here, wondering if I really want to go and audition for a new band straight away. I told myself I wouldn't do the Top 40 stuff anymore, and this band is rather "alternative rock" which in itself is mainstream enough. The set list seems interesting, though I am not familiar with all of the songs. It'd be a stretch and a challenge - but I know from 2 previous bands I am fairly good at working up a 30+ song setlist on short notice.

All in all it feels to much like being on the rebound. On the other hand, perhaps I am passing on a great opportunity. Funny thing is, when I told the misses last night that the band split, the first thing she said was: "You ARE gonna look for another one, right?". Maybe she's cheating on me and wants me out of the house :D

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Definitely the cheating thing...:D

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Go audition with the other band. You'll find out quickly whether or not it's right for you. Tell them how many of their songs you know.

Also, if you are a perfect fit and they have been looking a while, put your foot down on weekly rehearsals. I have ever never understood why people who are good at what they do have to rehearse so much! Either they aren't very good or they want one more reason to get out of the house.

If this one isn't your thing keep looking!

pcake and Stumbo like this.
  4. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    I would audition with the new band. Great opportunity -- you like the style of music, your wife is supportive, they have gigs -- it's great. Just having a booking agent is a goldmine in the sea of bands lacking the motivation to do sales. I know the weekly rehearsals bother you, but you will get better and better with them, positioning you for more work in the future as you learn lots of songs and get pushed.

If your experience is like mine, when you get busy gigging, rehearsals fall off the ma. Your performances keep you sharp (sharper than rehearsals do). Plus you only rehearse when you have to add new material that isn't something you can actually learn at the gig (we do that all the time if the songs are simple).

Go for it and keep the journey upwards happening!

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Why not?

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

it's not so much a rebound thing, IMO, as it is 'getting back on the horse'. = .02! :thumbsup:

two fingers likes this.
  7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i don't see it as a rebound so much as wanting to keep playing. do the audition. maybe this new band will be skilled and the idea of playing with better players will make you feel energized. if not, and if they offer you the spot, you don't have to take it unless you want to.

8. I took a year off when my first kid was born. Seemed like the thing to do.

After the year was up the Missus said something to the effect of that I needed to go start playing again rather than sitting around and buying more gear that isn't going to get played out.

There's no harm to auditioning. They're checking you out as much as you are them and you may find that it's something you want to pursue.

9. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Do it. I found the ad for my current band two days after my last one booted me and it's been the best musical experience of my life.