Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Band Stuck In A Rut

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by OysterBoy, Feb 1, 2006.

1. OysterBoy

OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Sorry if it seems like I didn't search; I couldn't really find anything particular to my situation.

I'm in a band (my second band, but the first barely practiced at all), and we're having a problem. The problem (that has actually plagued both of my bands), is that my riffs and basslines tend to be really dominating. I'll show the group a part of a song I've made that's really rather killer, but when we try to add guitar, it just falls apart. And the same occurs when the guitar player writes a cool riff. I mean, I can usually come up with something pretty wicked for it, but it either takes lead of the riff, or just doesn't really do it for what he had in mind.

Any advice? This is a pretty serious problem that's occured at almost every band practice I've went to. We tried covering some songs, and abandoned it; not for difficulty, I mean, we can pretty much over anything we want with enough practice, but we just get kind of bored, I guess, of playing someone elses stuff.

Thanks in advance.

2. It's fun to be in charge of the music, but it's definitely hard to use guitar as a backup to the bass. Hence, my first piece of advice is to try laying low in the songs more. There's nothing wrong with just grooving as opposed to heavily riffing all the time. This is definitely something I struggle with as well, although I think I've gotten better.

If you don't like that piece of advice (I'm not trying to be insulting, I really relate to your situation), I have often just used this method: Listen to the other instruments play, but be silent. Just imagine what you think the bass part should sound like. Once you have the general idea in your head, figure out how to play it and alter it from there. Good luck, hope I was helpful. Keep at it!

3. discoboo

discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    sometimes the sweetest notes are the one's you don't play.

4. pontz

pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    CT
    It sounds too me like you're both overplaying. I've done the same thing: create a great groove at home by myself, break it out at band practice and there is no room for anyone else to play. Maybe try writing together.

Good Luck,
    Pontz

5. OysterBoy

OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    That may just be a good idea, pontz. The problem is exactly that; we both have grooves or riffs that the whole band loves, but there's just no room for anyone else in the mix.

I'll also be borrowing one of my drummers guitars, so I can hopefully write some stuff on my own time to accompany bass.