Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Band try out

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Eul0gy, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Eul0gy

Eul0gy

Dec 30, 2005
    hey guys

well i have been asked to go along to try out for a band who plays old school metal. i haven;t really been in a band before just kinda jamming with friends playing some covers. So i am not really sure what to expect or whats expected of me.

they play mostly their own stuff *which i haven;t heard yet* so i dunno if they want me to come in and start playing along with their stuff out the box.

would it be wrong of me to email them back and ask them what they expect of me?

Any advice would be grand guys

cheers
    kenny

2. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    nah its not a problem at all email them ask if there are any cover tunes they do for warm up so you have some common ground. its shows some initiative.

3. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    +1

Also when you email them, find out what key they are doing each song in so you won't have to transpose on the spot. Depending on how your chops are this can make a difference.
    Also find out if they tune standard or down a half step so that you can be prepard and in tune before the drummer clicks off the first song.
    Go over the songs as much as you can so you are prepared.
    Think about what you want to know about before the audition and try to get all of the questions in your email to them.
    Also remember they are looking for a bass player. You are looking for a whole band.;)

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Be prepared to try and play along with their music.

Expect to be asked to play something on your own and/or one of your own compositions.

See if you like these cats or not. It sucks being in a band with people who you can barely tolerate... I've been there and it kind of sucks.

5. Eul0gy

Eul0gy

Dec 30, 2005
    cheers guys thats some great advice

strange question but is apperance important

6. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Good advice ...ask them for 5-6 songs that they do and in what key. I dont think it is ever fair for a cover band to have you show up with out giving you 4-6 songs on their songlist to know. My last two try-outs one band gave me 5 songs the other said just show up and we will play some of yours and some of ours...well I was more than prepared for the band that gave me the 5 tunes. The other band i did fine since i had them start out with 2 of my songs and i knew most of their stuff. I was offered both gigs and play with the second band now.

7. Eul0gy

Eul0gy

Dec 30, 2005
    well they are mostly original stuff (sorry if i didn't mention)

i have been told to learn seek and destory by metallica

8. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Damn, I'd like to join a band like that. It seems every bassist wanted ad I see in my area is for emo, hardcore, or metalcore. 3 genres I really don't like.

9. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    You did mention it. I just think it would be hard to come right in and be able to play songs you never heard. Most original bands have a couple of covers they can play even if they don't plan to put such songs in their sets.
    Good luck, play well.:bassist:

10. Eul0gy

Eul0gy

Dec 30, 2005
    thanks for all the support guys , im really pumped up for it :)

11. shanmag

shanmag

Jul 27, 2005
    im learning that song atm too!

good luck with it and good luck with your band tryout!