Band wanted ad -- comments? Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, Jul 22, 2001.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I am tired of piddling around with one or two gigs a month. I have decided to try to find another band, with interests and goals more in tune with mine. I have been involved in a band that sure started out with a helluva bang, but then just kind of fizzled out. My singer and guitarist are only interested in getting high (the singer smokes a bowl between sets), my drummer has started lying to everyone about missing practice and when he does show up, his only priority is drinking. Lately, I am the only one spending any time or money to make this band a success. Hell, we have a HUGE benefit show (this will be the biggest show we have ever played) coming up in less than a week and no one has been available for practice for almost a month! Normally, that wouldn't bother me, but my guitarist forgets songs he has been playing for six years! Anyway, I just wrote this band wanted ad and would like your opinions on what I could change, add, delete, etc., in order to make my search a success. I always find that when I re-read these things, I somehow sound arrogant as hell. I don't think that's true -- I just know what I want and I am very specific about certain requirements. Please help me, fellow TalkBassers!

Ad reads: Area bassist looking to start or join a band. I would prefer a situation with only one guitarist or a guitarist/vocalist (3 or 4-piece). I have 6+ years of experience, both in and out of area bands. I have a variety of interests and influences. I am a solid “meat-and-potatoes” player and a quick learner. I am creative and very dedicated to accomplishing my goals as a musician. I am sick of sitting around – I want to play! I drink very little when I am being paid to play and seldom drink when I am rehearsing and I don’t do drugs – ever! It sure would be nice to find someone with a similar “work ethic.”

If this interests you, or you know someone that may be interested, give me a call at __________ or e-mail me at _______________.
  2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I think that's a great and sincere ad.

The only thing I would add is the type of band you're looking for.

If you don't get any response I would recommend trying a more simple approach, and then giving the details when they contact you. I've gotten some good responses by posting things like:

Experienced, responsible, and sane bass player looking for gigging rock band. Willing to play naked.

There are also a lot of online places you can post (a search for "musicians classifieds" can help you with that) - and someone recently told me they got a lot of responses by posting in all the area rehearsal studios.
  3. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Unless you're posting the ad online for free you might want to trim it up a bit, for running something that long might get pretty expensive. I suggest:

Bassist seeking to join or start 3 or 4 piece band. 6+ years experience, solid player, quick learner. No drugs, aside the occasional drink. Contact Hategear at ____________.