Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Band wanted ad -- comments? Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, Jul 22, 2001.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I am tired of piddling around with one or two gigs a month. I have decided to try to find another band, with interests and goals more in tune with mine. I have been involved in a band that sure started out with a helluva bang, but then just kind of fizzled out. My singer and guitarist are only interested in getting high (the singer smokes a bowl between sets), my drummer has started lying to everyone about missing practice and when he does show up, his only priority is drinking. Lately, I am the only one spending any time or money to make this band a success. Hell, we have a HUGE benefit show (this will be the biggest show we have ever played) coming up in less than a week and no one has been available for practice for almost a month! Normally, that wouldn't bother me, but my guitarist forgets songs he has been playing for six years! Anyway, I just wrote this band wanted ad and would like your opinions on what I could change, add, delete, etc., in order to make my search a success. I always find that when I re-read these things, I somehow sound arrogant as hell. I don't think that's true -- I just know what I want and I am very specific about certain requirements. Please help me, fellow TalkBassers!

Ad reads: Area bassist looking to start or join a band. I would prefer a situation with only one guitarist or a guitarist/vocalist (3 or 4-piece). I have 6+ years of experience, both in and out of area bands. I have a variety of interests and influences. I am a solid “meat-and-potatoes” player and a quick learner. I am creative and very dedicated to accomplishing my goals as a musician. I am sick of sitting around – I want to play! I drink very little when I am being paid to play and seldom drink when I am rehearsing and I don’t do drugs – ever! It sure would be nice to find someone with a similar “work ethic.”

If this interests you, or you know someone that may be interested, give me a call at __________ or e-mail me at _______________.

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I think that's a great and sincere ad.

The only thing I would add is the type of band you're looking for.

If you don't get any response I would recommend trying a more simple approach, and then giving the details when they contact you. I've gotten some good responses by posting things like:

Experienced, responsible, and sane bass player looking for gigging rock band. Willing to play naked.

There are also a lot of online places you can post (a search for "musicians classifieds" can help you with that) - and someone recently told me they got a lot of responses by posting in all the area rehearsal studios.

3. You don't do any drugs? :(

4. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Unless you're posting the ad online for free you might want to trim it up a bit, for running something that long might get pretty expensive. I suggest:

Bassist seeking to join or start 3 or 4 piece band. 6+ years experience, solid player, quick learner. No drugs, aside the occasional drink. Contact Hategear at ____________.