1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Band wants to audition me, help!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Murmaider, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Murmaider

Murmaider

Oct 20, 2013
    I've only had my bass for 3 days. Still, I've memorized the minor, harmonic minor, and hungarian minor scale shapes and stuff.

But anyways, this guy wants to audition me as their bassist (they play relatively simple deathcore sort of stuff, breakdowns and the like) and I'm not sure I can cut it. Even if I can technically get their songs down, I'm still very inexperienced as a bassist, I mean I've had the damn thing for 3 days! I'm just confused on whether this is a good idea or not!

I'm not expecting to make the band, but it would be nice to play with other people and learn the instrument in a musical setting instead of by myself in my room. I just don't know if its a good idea to go through with this.

Maybe I should just apply the "nothing to lose" mentality?

2. deathsdj

deathsdj

Sep 18, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    Do it. You do have nothing to lose and lots to gain. If nothing else you will probably learn something.

Do it.

Cheers!

MJW

3. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I agree do it. I jumped into a band back in highschool after owning a bass for 2 weeks.

4. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    If you know Hungarian minor scale shapes and stuff, you'll be fine.

5. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    Go for it. You have nothing to lose. I had my first gig a million years ago about a week after picking up my first bass. You can do it!

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Bands always need bass players. You just proved it!

Do it and don't look back, something might be gaining on you!:)

Just follow the basic root notes of the chords and the rhythm at first.

Create a basic chart for each song with the chords/changes. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f22/any-software-writing-chord-charts-557714/ or just take manual notes on what to play. If you're not familiar, ask the guitar player to do it. Also, ask for some recordings to play along with.

Btw, get some ear plugs. Always use them. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f30/hearing-loss-ear-plugs-3743/

Also, don't play so long and are doing damage to your fingers by creating blisters. Maybe put some ToughSkin on your finger tips before you start playing.

Do have a rig that will handle the gig?

Good luck.

7. I'd do it! What's the worst that can happen? They decapitate you then burn down a church? \m/

8. Ronbassman

Ronbassman

Jun 1, 2011
    Know this:
    You're going to have stage fright right before your first few gigs.
    You're going to screw up hundreds of times.
    You're going to be out of your comfort zone lots of times.

SO WHAT!?
    Because, you'll learn a lot, you'll thrive whenever you feel the pressure and, most importantly, you'll have a lot of fun in the process.

9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    For a hardcore band? Bah! You only need to know your Hungarian minor keys & modes! :smug:

MM

10. If they asked you to try out knowing you have only had your bass for 3 days then obviously they need you as much as you need them. Playing with a band is the quickist way to learn. Haha, also, don't get to nervous. It took me a while but after playing shows 4 times a week for years i had to tell myself that i mess up at some point every show anyhow so why get nervouse. Your gonna mess up, but your going to learn a thing or two.

11. Bainbridge

Bainbridge

Oct 28, 2012
    I'd do it, if I were you. On the subject of earplugs, I keep a pair of Etymotic ER20's on my person or in my car. They're fantastic. I can't sing with earplugs in, though. If I do, then all I can hear is my own voice.

12. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

The only valid reason I can think of to turn down an audition is if you don't actually want the job. Do you WANT to play with these guys?

13. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Just do it!
    Even if you don't make it you will learn a lot.

14. Rowka

Rowka

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Do you already play guitar, or piano, or sax, or something so you understand music in any way beyond memorizing scale shapes?

15. plong123

plong123 All Your Bass Are Belong To Us

Nov 19, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    That's a bit much. Remember- you're only the bass player! If you know what's good for you, you'll play the root notes just the way the guitar god tells you to do it!

/sarcasm

16. bass geetarist

bass geetarist

Jul 29, 2013
    toronto
    Another vote for going for it here. Either you'll get in and will be able to brag to young TBers years from now about having joined a band after only playing for three days, or, you won't make the cut, but will walk away with a better understanding of the skills you need to be in a band.

Good luck!

17. lundborg

lundborg

Apr 8, 2008
    For inspiration, I can recommend this interview with Doyle from The Misfits:

After a 30+ year career as a guitar player, he still has no clue whatsoever on how to play (in theory). In practice, yes, obviously he does the job...

18. Yep, go for it. You seem to be doing pretty well for having had the bass for only 3 days.

19. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Absolutely! Nothing to lose! In fact, even if you don't make the band, ask them if you can come back and watch their rehearsals.

20. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I didn't think I would get the slot at my first audition, either ... but I did. Granted, I'd been playing a bit longer than 3 days, but if the songs are simple and those guys are patient, it's totally do-able. See if you can't follow the rhythm guitarists fingers. Or if you can have a few days with the recordings to figure out the root notes & changes beforehand, that would help. Good luck and keep us posted! :bassist: