Band website problems.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by soundoholic, Aug 26, 2003.

1. My bands website has been getting alot of negative responses on the message board. The biggest one is that we don't go on the message board and post anything. But I don't think that we should have to. It isn't 20 questions or anything. I love my fans and so does the rest of my band. We just really show it at concerts. I'll talk with anyone in the crowd. I used to post on the message board but nobody else in the band did so I stopped.

Do you think we should be posting on our message board?

If you have a message board for your band do you post on it?

2. Exedore

Nov 15, 2002
    Pasadena, Ca, USA
    You shouldn't "have" to post on your own message board. Because you're right, most band message boards aren't meant to be question and answer session for the band. And it can almost appear self-indulgant to be posting all the time.
    But then again, it's your band and your fans, so why not post every once and awhile? You say you talk to them at shows but can all of them make it to all of your shows?
    That's at least my mentality for my band's message board. I don't respond to every post but I do read it and post from time to time - especially if someone is directing a question to the band. I care what my "fans" (using the term loosely) think and want to avoid putting up walls between myself and them. Responding to their posts is an easy way of showing that.
  3. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    What's the point of maintaining a message board if it's not a place where the band can interact with the fans?

I think a message board is potentially a great tool for developing a loyal fanbase - you can interact with people who love your music - but at least one or two of the band have got to check in from time to time.

I run the website for my band - rather than maintaining an online forum, we have a mailing list instead. It's still pretty low traffic but is a way of keeping people up to date. If it becomes busier in the future, then maybe I'd consider a forum, but I'd be at least as involved in it as I am in Talkbass.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think that if people ask questions, then you should take the time to reply - that is common courtesy.

Otherwise, you should take the message board down and just run a mailing list for info, as wulf suggested.

If you are running a message board, then you are setting up an expectation - people will expect to get answered and as you have discovered, will get annoyed if their expectations are unfulfilled!
  5. Thanks for the comments! I'm thinking of giving the message board another try. It can be pretty negative some times. I've only been with the band a year so I get a lot of crap from older fans. Thanks again!
  6. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    You definitely should give it another try. We've gained alot of fans on our message board. Ours is alot like TalkBass. So it's easy to respond, in fact it's alot of fun, most of the topics aren't even about the band, but it gets people to the site. Alot of people who check the site out after seeing the band at a club (just for curiosity's sake) have become loyal fans because they see that we're just normal people that they can talk to. Check ours out if you'd like: