1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Band with a guy from American Idol? (semi-long post)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MatticusMania, Oct 2, 2008.

1. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Ok, so I saw this ad on the los angeles craigslist section this morning:
    http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/muc/862965394.html

This normally wouldn't sound like my type of thing, however, I havent been having the best of luck putting together my Experimental/Ambient/Obscure Supergroup, and I'm a little eager to get back into the playing/gigging circuit. So I wrote them a little message:

"Hey there, 24 year old ambitious bassist here, 7 years experience playing/writing/recording/gigging. I'm looking for a new band as my last one split up a month ago. Can you tell me more about your music and what youre looking for?"

And shortly after I get a response from the lead singer's "assistant" (who in a phone conversation with the singer refered to her as being "dumb"):

"The boys actually rehearse in Pasadena and will be tracking at Firehouse Studios in Old Town. So it seems you're in the area. They arer a violently ambitious rockband and we are looking for a new Bassist, someone who wants to be a part of a solid, longterm, success-driven musical family. Going into the studio again in November-January, begin rehearsals next week.
    We're going into a darker more ambitious direction (more soaring classic rock), though the lead singles are def top-40 rock and would love to have you along for our journey!
    The second album is titled 'Manic Ghost'. Give me your phone number after you check out the band and I'll have Dean-Anthony call you to chat. They're great guys and just need a new brother on bass.
    Check them out and let me know. www.myspace.com/wearebradford"

(I can't view myspace pages while I'm at work, so if you want, check out the band and let me know how they sound!)

So I respond:
    "Cool, I'm in a position right now where I have lots of time. Unfortunately Im at work right now (dayjob) and our server doesnt allow access to myspace, I can check it out later, or if you have an MP3 I could listen to now you could send it... I like things in the dark direction, so no problem there. How much previous material has been written? My number is *******, let me know when everyone is getting together again. Are you the band's manager?"

And I get this back:

"I'm *lead singer's*, the front man's, assistant. All together, 416 songs have been written, but *lead singer* is focusing on all new material for this new collection (he appears at the top of the new season of American Idol so we're all gearing up to exploit that 30-million-new-eyes exposure). They get together again on Sunday, to begin banging through the new stuff. Though I think they're all having dinner tonight. I'll have him give you a call. He is in West LA this morning, and has to drive back to Pasadena to work out (one of our Sponsors asked him to lose five lbs, so he's been trying to lose ten!) and I'll have him ring you. You available to chat for a sec around 10:30? I'll gather some MP3s and send them over."

I never got the mp3s, nor did I respond after that thinking to myself i wasnt sure if I wanted to pursue this any further. So about 11:30 I get a call from the lead singer, he seemed like a nice enough guy, and indeed is very ambitious. He asked me my story, so I laid it out for him. I think his assistant might have told him I was a good bass player as he refered to me as an ambitious badass player. I told him that was for him to decide. And we talked a little more. Im now taking a little more interest at this point, and I havent even heard the music yet. He seemed very confident, possibly over-confident, and wasted no time in telling me that some players have been scared off by their ambition. I'm supposed to meet up with him later, he's going to give me a CD, and I'll give him a CD of my last band as well.

I guess there isn't much of a point to this post yet, I'm not exactly sure what'll happen, just curious as to get some fellow TBers opinions on the situation.

Also, did his "assistant" violate his contract by telling me this info on the next season of American Idol? Though, if the band is good and I decide to play for them, his exposure will definitely be beneficial.

*edit - ok, it turned out to be a very long post, sorry*

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Listened... least impressed with the vocalist of anything I heard. Seems whiney, thin and to use an American Idol term very 'pitchy'.

The stuff on their Myspace is hardly dark, at least as far as I'm concerned.

3. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yeah, the guy was telling me that the NEW stuff is supposed to be dark, but that theres 2 songs that are top 40 stuff...

I'm not too sure about it, but since I currently have no projects going I thought I'd see what happens.

4. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what? Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Idaho
    I would have to agree that the vocals are questionable, however, you never know. He may have improved a great deal since the recordings were done. :smug:

5. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Should I take the smug smiley to mean that your last sentence was sarcasm?

I really wish his "assistant" would have sent those mp3s...
    I'm think I'm going to go meet with the regardless, as I already set it up. He's supposed to give me a CD, so i'll listen to that after I leave and make a more concrete decision based on that and our little meeting.

I'd appreciate any more comments though...

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Assistant = chick he's brainwashed into thinking he's some rock idol already (and who he hopes to soon be banging)?

or

Assistant = chick he happens to be banging because he's brainwashed her into thinking he's some rock idol already?

or

Assistant = his mom... who hopes he can have some form of success to final get him out of her basement.

Just some possibilities.

7. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

Well, I listened to all of it. <insert yawn> You know, I am just an old fart hill billy from West Virginia but if that's what's selling in L. A. then the west coast is in deeper <insert expletive> than I thought. Sorry guy; just my opinion.

8. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm not sure what's going on here...looks like a bunch of egotistical wussies to me.

Although, it can never hurt to meet up and jam/audition, but I think these guys have their heads up their @$$e$

9. etoncrow

Oh my God! The little green light next to my name went out and I thought I was having an existential crisis!!!! Then, magically, it came back on....whew! Sorry, I almost lost it for a second.

10. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    If this vocalist is from America Idol I believe it. Though he was probably on during the first two weeks when so many suckie people tried out in auditions.

Just imagine how many other people out there say they were on American Idol just because they auditioned and were HORRIBLE.

11. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal

I was thinking this one. He'll be saddened when I show up to jam and steal her away with my awesome low end.
    I'm notorious for stealing peoples chicks, never on purpose though, and Im usually oblivious to the fact until its too late. Oh well, I dont have anything going on at the moment... should be fun

12. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    No need to apologize, like I said, I havent even had a chance to check the music (or vocals) out yet. I'm not really looking to be impressed, but if I can't get into it I'm just going to walk.

13. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Oh trust me, I know first hand.
    Last year at a bar my friends band was playing I ran into this stoner guy I used to know in high school. I could tell he was all tweeked out. He was going on about how he was on American Idol and he was trying to get caught on drugs so they could null his contract and this and that...

it was the most entertaining thing ever!

14. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Trying to get caught w/ drugs? LOL

He MUSTA been high!

15. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yeah, dumb tweekers and their cockamaney ideas...

16. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    Seriously, I hope that the project is a good fit for you; that it works out well musically, and that you produce some good sounds together and attain whatever level of success you can with them or whomever...
    BUT-

If I had a nickle for every Band (especially here in LA) that claims to have "industry connections, management, label interest, promotional people" etc. etc.

If I had a nickle for each one, I'd never have to look for a gig again!
    Most go nowhere. Reality check

Gotta try; I understand that.
    But please--- Keep it real!

Good Luck!

17. etoncrow

OK Matticus, are you going to clue us in on what your reaction was and what happened?

18. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    They sound like one of those pop rock bands that all the teenagers listen to. They are a market driven band if I have ever heard one.

The singer thinks he is the **** but doesn't pull it off. He goes for the whinny "I love my ex girlfriend, who broke my heart, almost as much as my guitarist loves power chords" thing (I wish I knew who he sounded like but I don't listen to enough of it to tell you). His vocals are busy and complicated (on the second song) and its unwarranted. The band is typical pop-rock, 8th note roots kinda stuff.

19. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Well, I was going to go, but after hearing your opinions on the band I decided I'd rather watch the vice presidential debate and put my new bridge on my bass. So I gave them a ring and let them know I couldnt make it, though they would like to reschedule, and I left it open so that if I really want to I can. I wasn't able to get online last night and check them out for myself, so I plan on doing that tonight to really see if its worth my time. After all your opinions I'm thinking its most likely not, but still, I'll see for myself.

I did get an email from his assistant asking what happened, I guess the singer doesnt fill her in very well. They want to set something up for tonight, but its friday, and I can think of better ways to spend my night, so maybe I'll try for tomorrow. Or maybe I'll ask for those mp3s and make a judgement call before I leave work.

20. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yeah, I just got his assistant to send me an mp3, and judging on the sound of the band, its really not my kind of music. Really, whatever connections a person may or may not have doesnt really matter to me, especially when your music isnt all that great. The band seems to me to have a weak Maroon 5-ish feel, but even if they had a good Maroon 5-ish feel it wouldnt spark my interest. At least I didnt end up wasting any of my time on them.

The singer's voice is really annoying, the band could probably do better for themselves.
    If in fact this guy is on the next season of american idol I wouldnt be surprised to see that the judges turn him down immediately.