1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Band with a percussionist but no drummer ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by benlauziere, Mar 10, 2013.

1. I don't know if I'm in the right section but if I'm not, feel free to move it!

I was looking for bands of any style that as no drummer but a percussionist instead, like a floor tom and some bling bling around ? Cauz I would like to make a side band with my bandmates and we would do acoustic covers where I would be playing a floor tom and a tambourine (and maybe a ride cymbal) and signing. I was looking forward for ideas!

Thanks !

2. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Marcus Mumford of Mumford and Sons usually plays just a kick drum and a tambourine with a kick pedal on it too.

One on each foot, leaving his hands free to play guitar and his kick drum also doubles as a mount for his boom mic.

Thats not exactly what I call a percussionist, but its a great idea.

3. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    Probably not what you are looking for, but a lot of old salsa music had only percussion. They had multiple percussionists though.

I would say to look into timbale patterns where you play two different rhythms at the same time, whether it's between the head of the drum and the side (see cascara patterns) or the cymbal and a bell, etc..

4. Thanks for your answers guys !
    I found about The xx also, great music !

Looking forward for other suggestions :)

5. A lot of the solo John Butler stuff he just uses a woodblock to step on.

Guster usually just use hand percussion.

6. That sounds like a plan. How about some bongos? They're fun even if they look like it.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Oregon?
    Ralph Towner- guitar
    Glen Moore- bass
    Colin Walcott- percussion
    Paul McCandless- reeds

Eventually, Trilok Gurtu replaced Walcott.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Afew years back, I saw an acoustic band playing a coffee house...their "drummer" was using some kinda homebrew cardboard box? IMO & IIRC, it looked totally homemade...but probably based on the cajón.

This is a cajón
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cajón

Googled "percussion box"...there are youtube links with demos, etc.

9. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Saw The Subdudes on Austin City Limits. Full electric band except for a drummer. They had a guy sitting down from beating on a tambourine head with a stick like object.

10. Swakey

Swakey

Nov 26, 2012
    i saw michel camilo playing with his mano a mano trio. Piano, double bass and percussions
    AWESOME!

11. ArtGuy9516

ArtGuy9516

Apr 10, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    When I saw Dead Can Dance oh so many years ago they had several percussionists and not one of them were behind a kit

12. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    Michel Camillo is awesome!! He recorded a video with Anthony Jackson on bass and Horacio "El Negro" Hernández on drums... That band was tight!!

13. Swakey

Swakey

Nov 26, 2012
    Yeah that was an amazing trio! And all three of them are exceptional performers and musicians

14. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    You'll find that on the dvd 'calle 54' which is well worth while if one is into latin music.

15. Thanks guys :)

Also found an acoustic show of Of Monsters And Men where the drummer only plays floor tom and snare, very cool !

16. Bela Flec and the Flectones.
    &
    Cop shoot Cop. Come to mind.

17. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Beausoleil. The percussionist (Billy Ware) is a friend of mine.

18. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    When I was in a salsa band, there were three percussionists and no drummers.

19. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Check out Harmonious Wail.

20. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC