Band with multiple bassists?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Oct 15, 2005.

1. I've been trying to get a band together for a long time now, but I've always been hit with the same problem: I don't know any musicians that aren't bassists. I know 6 bass players, one drummer that I haven't spoken to in 2 years, and 2 really crappy guitar players.

So I was thinking about an alternative. I could get in touch with that drummer, who was insanely good by the way, and try to get together with him. Then try to incorporate 2 basses into the mix instead of a guitar. One of the bassists I know (the best of the bunch, by far) has a 6 string, and a 12-string (with the alternating guitar strings and bass strings), so he could cover the melody/guitar parts and keep the high-end sounding good while I keep the rhythm going underneath.

I know it would be pretty hard to pull of and sound good, but I think it's a great idea, at least to mess around with. So does anyone have any thoughts or experience with something like this?
  2. jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    haa, that woudl be pretty kool, if the on guy kept the melody/high pitched, and you kept the bottom down, as long as it dint get too boomy, it might be interesting

3. sethik

May 26, 2005
    Manchester England
    hey mikey. the only band that comes to mind is 'elastica' a britpop band who have on occasion used 2 basses along with guitar.
    personally i think its a good idea having a 2 bass band if you can write the music well.
    in my band (razorbladesmile) i tend to write the songs bass heavy anyway using the guitar for punctuation of lines and heavy choruses.
    also think of quartets of other instruments like violin/cello players. or heavy metal cellists apocalyptica. if the violin family can do it whey cant bass players?
    id say if you can go for it dude see what you can make of it.
    good luck
  4. i think a 2 bass band is a kick ass idea. Dependin on the music you gotta have some form of seperation between the basses tho. I think stuff where there would be a slap bass and a fingered/picked bass .. or one with distortion one clean... 2 different distortions... one person playing high on the fretboard, the other playiing low. or even playing the same lines, with an octave difference might sound cool?... Check out the band Death From Above 1979 for an idea.
  5. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I've done three bassists in one band. Different tunings (or number of strings) and different sounds (clean/distorted, fretted/fretless, bowed/plucked etc) do help things naturally fall into place. Though you don't necessarily have to play different things all the time - everybody playing down low in unison sounds HUGE for the occasional really big chorus or finale. Bowed double bass and distorted bass guitar in unison sounds HEAVY!
  6. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    cop shoot cop, ned's atomic dustbin...
  7. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    If Victor Wooten can do it, anyone can.

8. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Yes! NED'S ATOMIC DUSTBIN! My thought exactly. I used to be waaaaaaaay into this band. My taste has changed a little, but they still kick A55.

9. Sounds like Aussie band Pre Shrunk - two bassists and a drummer. Interesting stuff (mucho Deep Impact usage).

It can work!
  10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    What about only one bass player and drums?

Death From Above 1979 & Lightning Bolt are two that come to mind.

Im about to start one called Locusta.
  11. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    Mutliple basses, eh?
    You might want to check this and this.
  12. If you do this, you have got to cover "Big Bottom" by Spinal Tap.
  13. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Juan Alderete from Racer X and The Mars Volta had a two bass band with Tim C. from Rage and Audioslave. Timmy C dropped out early though, so the two bass fretless/fretted band didn't work there. :meh:
  14. Early Sadhappy was just Bass and Drum (first album)
    Then it was Bass, Drum, and Sax
    Then the Sax player quit and it became a 2 Bass and Drum band
    You might want to check them out too
    A lot of fun, Punk/Jazz type of thing
  15. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Sadhappy is cool, very unique sound.
  16. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Why is it that I feel physically sick whenever I see Victor wooten near an instrument?
  17. bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Think Spinal Tap "Big Bottom". :bassist:
  18. sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    Molotov: two basses, guitar, drums.
  19. screwball

Jul 25, 2004
    Manchester UK

very primus influenced, really good live.
  20. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    No idea. You realize how much he rules?