Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Band worried we aren't ready for gig

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Apr 7, 2005.

1. My band are getting pre-gig nerves and are worried we aren't gonna be ready in time. They are also worried our set is only 12 minutes long(we have 15-20 minutes). They are determined to get a new song they have written learnt in time to play........I don;t udnerstand why we don't play one of our other tunes. Another thing, the singer is determined not to say anything to the crowd, as he feels this will make us stand out and be different(justl ike they thought havin a black, grey, and white logo would be different :eyebrow: ).

2. If you all dress up as clowns, you will be different. You should add a Rush cover (Tom Sawyer?) instead of a new song. You're welcome.

3. I agree with you about using another tune you already know...save the new one for later, and put on a good show with what you have. Also, tell your singer that being unfriendly to the crowd (by not talking or otherwise acknowledging the folks nice enough to come see you) will make you stand out, but in a very, very negative way. Plus, if people don't feel connected in some way, they often lose interest. Is this a first gig? Could he possibly be trying to cover for fear? If so, reassure him. As a singer and a bassist, it has always been more nerve-racking for me when I sing...encouragement could go a long way here.

4. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    99% of good shows I go to the singer talks to the crowd it makes them feel connected and involved in the exprence instead of the feel of watching a TV.

Plus the only way your band is going to get recognition is if your different. Whats the point if your band looks and acts the same as everyother band? If you do that noone is going to remember you after you get done playing.

No offense but your singer's comment make him sound really goofy

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Add an instrumental song as the first song. Just jam over certain chords, but make sure to structure it,plan it out and practice it. You can extend the song as long as you want. B.B.King's band did it when I went to see him, and it worked well, he only went on stage after everyone else was done a few instrumental songs. Your vocalist can also interact with the crowd between songs in an entertaining way. Those are just my ideas to help you make your show longer.

EDIT: sorry I read fast and didn't read the part where you said that your singer refuses to interact with the crowd. But I recommend that he/she does.

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    If its crunch time just toss in a cover (unless the venue has a no covers policy). Most bands have at least 1 or 2 they all know and have jammed on before (my band warms up ever session with one or two covers).

Trying to cram another orignal in is probably just going to increase your tension levels, where just jamming on a song you all like is relaxing and will get your minds back where they should be: on enjoying the music you play and having fun playing it.

7. Hmm a cover. It's just our drummer will have to learn the song very fast. We could do a song we all know, but the band feel it's too poppy. It's catchy as hell though. If the singer doesn't say anything, I damn well will, I don't get stage fright.

8. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    If your singer refuses to talk with the crowd, YOU should do it.

9. 1. I agree that, if your singer is too frightened and/or too "cool" to interact with the audience ( I strongly suspect the former), someone else should do it. Whoever does do it should give it some thought beforehand as there is a huge potential for making yourself (and your band) look very foolish otherwise.

2. Play "extended" versions of one or more of the songs you have already learnt. This will take the pressure off so far as learning more material is concerned.

3. Enjoy it!! :) :) Keep in mind that this is, at least partly, why you are doing it.

10. In an old band of mine the singer just couldn't talk with the crowd well so I took over those duties. Hey, at least I now had a good reason to have that mic in front of me.
    Nick, here's what's worked for me to alleviate the pre-gig nerveousness for the band. We made the playlist about a week in advance and practised that playlist relentlessly. We actually practised it on the day of the gig just to be sure. It worked great and we actually played one of the tightest sets ever.
    I'd say throw in that catchy cover, the crowd will enjoy it and that's what counts, doesn't it?

11. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    How much time before the gig? I think your singer may take a few gigs before he is able to get it going with the crowd.

12. It;s sorted. He is gonna speak but he was just a bit worried about what to say, but I've given him and idea, and agreed to help him if i feel i need to.

13. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    If my singer said that, I'll pull a "You're fired", Trump style. That is probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard a singer say. That guy better be talking to the crowd non stop and as a lead singer it is his job to be charismatic and confident.

14. Since your set is only 15-20 minutes long, you have the opportunity to drill that set 15-20 times before you actually have to play it.

I play in a 4 piece and we're all hams...so we all have mics. Once, we taped a show and we were stepping on each other's toes to talk to the crowd. Jokes and banter wasn't coming across and we sounded like fools. Now, this is the other extreme to your situation, but the fix works for both: Rehearse your crowd interaction. Plan out what you want to say, when you want to say it. If your singer is nervous, he could just throw out the, "Hello, Cleveland!" or "On Bass, Nick! On Drums, Clarence!"

Rehearsing 'talking' worked for us, and now everybody hears all the stupid crap all of us want to say in between songs.

15. Mo'Phat:

Absolutely 110% correct IMHO

That was what I meant by "giving it some thought" and not "winging it".

As you found from your recording, it really can sound dire if all the links are ad lib and unrehearsed.

16. Like others have said here. REHEARSE. When my band gigs we set aside of regular practice/writing sessions and rehearse the songs we are going to play. We can play about 3-4 hours of material, and have to spread this over a couple of practices, but it works. It will make you do your homework quickly if you realize you a missing a few parts.

With that said, my band was probably not really ready to play when we started. Some may argue that we are not now. Regardless, you have to start somewhere. We've bobbled on stage and had some embarrasing moments, but that's part of it.

Stick with what you already know and go for it. Interact with the crowd, and have fun.

17. toby

toby

Feb 10, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    SO unless your playing all 2 minute pop songs, 15-20 minutes is only 4-6 songs right? Everyone that says rehearse your set is dead on. Plan out the order, maybe even throw in a new transition or 2 to bridge songs together. With so little time don't waste it in between songs running your mouth to the crowd. Its good to be loose and friendly, and always engage the crowd. But i think a short set like that is hurt by dead space between songs. And unless you have a couple weeks before the show, play one you know to fill the space, be comfy, have fun and then you'll have all that momentum of a good show to build off when you start writing new songs after.
    Ans last but not least, DONT STARE AT THE FLOOR!! Look your audience in the eye and you'll be amazed at how much better they will respond.

18. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    time for some IMPROVISATION.

19. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I'm in a somewhat similar situation with my band back home (at least when we're together). Only it's the guitarist. It's very obvious that he's NEVER played in front of other people in a band and so he's really nervous about being embarassed. As far as I'm concerned, as long as you can play through your songs and feel confident in what you're doing.

Just make sure your singer doesn't act like a jerk to the crowd. Only a few guys can get away with "abusing" the crowd. (and no offense, but I don't think you're singer is quite as "hero-worshiped" as Maynard James Keenan)

Good luck with the show!!!

20. Hehe, well we were thinking abotu what to do if the guitars have to tune up......what a brilliant idea, a bass solo! :-D The singer has said he's gonna introduce the band, each song, and a quick thankyou after each song. Until we get a fan base, we really don't have much to sya to people as we don't knwo them, and they don't know us.