1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bandleader scored an EB Musicman artist deal!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by songwriter21, Feb 14, 2013.

1. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    BUT, I've never been a fan of their basses...nice construction and looks, but limited in sound for me. Plus, I don't dig the pickup placement. The only bass that's attracted my attention, is the Bongo, because of the 4-band eq and 24 frets.

My heart belongs to my beloved BTB Prestige, but I wanted to know what you all think of the Bongos. My Ibanez can make just about any sound, and I love the neck and spacing, but the 35" scale has always been kind of a stretch, literally. A 34" one would be welcomed back, of course.

Any input is welcome!

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    MM are one of the few active basses I would buy and I don't like active basses for the record but they are really good.

3. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    The Bongo is a monster. Still miss the two I used to own.

4. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    The Bongo is an absolute tone monster. The 4 band eq is very strong, very useful. The low B is incredible, and plays incredibly well.

I think maybe if people didnt expect every bass ever to be able to reproduce every tone ever different brands would have more fans. Ive been gassing for a Ray 4 for months now, and i only want it for that classic single H tone. The Bongo is otherwise a swiss army knife on steroids.

5. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ibanez BTB is an incredible bass. I am hooked to Lakland now, but I loved many things about the BTB. The only thing that didn't keep me personally, is the look. I prefer a classic bass :)

Personally, I've also never been crazy about EBMM basses. Endorsements are cool, though. You can get a very nice bass for a very nice price. Playing it with your group wouldn't kill ya, and hey...it's a fraction of a cost and you can say you're endorsed!

6. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I personally think the Bongo is the best model they make. Better electronics and ergonomics IMO.

7. never had the pleasure to play one, but I've heard them played and.. well.. drool

I do think they are ugly as sin, but they sound good enough to overlook that IMO

8. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
  9. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of the look, but they look much better in dark colors, I think. I love Dream Theater (even though I play country), and JM gets some pretty gnarly tones from his Bongo, so....

Jlepre, I know country music doesn't exactly require a 24-fret bass, but I do like to have the freedom of a "do-it-all" instrument. Plus, for some reason, 22 frets always has seemed odd to me, and yet I am perfectly okay with 21. Go figure.

10. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I hear that bongos are great. if you don't need the 24 frets, the Sterling 5 is another option and comes in the HH configuration. extremely versatile with some classic fender-y type tones in addition to the standard MM sound.

11. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I was just looking at the Big Al, with the 3-pickup option. Thoughts on that one? (I know, 22 frets.)

12. Peace Cee

Peace Cee

Feb 9, 2011
    I own a Bongo 6. Great bass. it is the HH model, and it has tons of nutsack. comfy. Boutique-ish in the high and mid range. P-Bass-ish depth with the lows, yet less muddy (and I love my P) It can be a little hot. Uglier than a mutha, but I love it.