Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bandless...drummer quit

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by VS, Aug 19, 2002.

1. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    This weekend my drummer quit on us,we were a three piece. Well,rather he quit because of the guitarist(Why does this not surprise me?). My drummer and guitarist couldn't work well together,but my drummer and I could work wonders together. Bottom line, the guitarist didn't like complex,odd time drumming. Maybe that would require use of the brain? lol Well,the drummer told me that he would play with me anytime and we should find another guitarist more compatible with our style. In my area,that is about impossible. I live in literally nowhere. Finding a guitarist interested in playing with a bassist who doesn't believe in basic four's and a drummer who play's a 17 piece set(drums only mind you,lol) with a style like Portnoy/Bozzio IS impossible. I'm clueless now. :( We've thought about a drum/bass project,but I don't know how well that would work. Should I start playing spoons and forks instead? I think this may be a hint to move to Georgia with my grandparents! :eek: Anyone with suggestions,help,lol. -Luke

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, don't forget the niacin/elp route - you can do a lot as a keyboard/bass/drums trio, if suitable guitarists are hard to find.

another suggestion is to practice with your drummer, just the 2 of you, _ALOT_. you'll find that you'll both develop as players a lot quicker, and when you do finally find contestant #3 for your band ;) you'll be really tight.

lastly, i hate to do this to ya, bud, but this is music related, so i gotta move it on over to misc. ;)

good luck with the search.

3. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    I actually thought I WAS in Misc. go figure.....-Luke

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    If the drummer is really that good, hang on to him, no matter how long it takes to get something else going! In my area (backwoods-disguised-as-big-city, Wisconsin), guitarists are a dime a dozen and good drummers and bass players are hard to come by.

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Good drummers are hard to find period. The choice is easy.

6. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Yea,perhaps I should hang on and wait to find someone,we'll see. ;) -Luke

7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    echoing what JT sed...a keyboard/bass/drum trio is a good idea....

but if u have ur heart set on a guitarist then just post flyers and practice with the drummer....sooner or later things will start working

it worked for me

bp13

8. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    I would much rather find a keyboard player. Guitarist's annoy me. Sorry,but they all just think they're God's or something. If anyone know's any keyboard player's in the Maryland area,please don't hesitate to let me know. Thank's guy's. -Luke

9. Got news for ya, there's a whole lotta "nowhere" here in the state of Georgia too. As a matter of fact, even in Atlanta, it's fairly difficult to put together something cohesive. Just ask JT, who I believe, has stated that it's even difficult to find a gig with his type of music (sounds like yours too). Besides, the schools here suck big wind and it's really hot during the summer. :cool: