1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bands/Bassists That I just Don't Get

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lijazz, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Obviously we all have our favorite bassists/ bands, etc. but what about those in music that we either just don't like, or don't understand their popularity or praise heaped upon them.

These are at the top for me:

The Rolling Stones - Never liked them. Think Jagger is an awful singer. Don't care for the writing.

Bruce Springsteen - (See above)

Dream Theater - Self-indulgent technical exhibition with no soul...awful vocalist.

Pino Palladino - I know he is a session God, but I have never heard him do anything that really stands out, plus he has no distinct tone, which is evident when you see him play with the Who live.. Please help me to understand this one. I have been trying.

Just my $0.02

2. Pretty much any soloist/virtuoso sort. Ends up being boring background music behind technical wankery.

Most "prog". Again, technical wankery. Most consider Mastodon prog though & I love those guys.

As far as bands go...
    Journey is my least favorite band in rock & roll.
    Foreigner is my second least favorite band in rock & roll.
    Radiohead is my third least favorite band in rock & roll.

For the above three... There's not a single song I won't turn off when I hear it.

Rush. Geddy's voice bugs me and I generally don't like synths in rock music. There are, however, a handful of songs I won't turn off if they come on.

3. Being a huge Rush fan, I have to disagree on them, but totally agree on Radiohead. They would be next on my list, just don't get it.

4. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    For me it's Lynyrd Skynyrd, makes me want to stick toothpicks in my ears every time I hear the first note of any of their songs.

Rush, totally inane, inarticulate, pretentious, noodling. Easily the most gawd awful voice in the history of music.

OKGO. A friend thinks this is the best band he's heard in years. I just don't understand. Atrocious, barely starts to cover my loathing for their particular brand of noise pollution.

5. I absolutely do not understand how anyone could like Van Halen.. the singer does this annoying squeel with his voice that sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me. The guitar work.. while good... all sounds the same too.

Also Five Finger Death Punch.. these guys constantly talk about how they 'just got back from iraq' during there shows... like they use that line to broaden there fan base or something... all that aside they seemingly popped up out of nowhere and the lyrical content is that of a 4 year old rhyming as many words as they can in the most cliche way that they can think of.

6. kirkdickinson

kirkdickinson Supporting Member

I pretty much won't listen to any band that has a lead growler or screamer that can't or won't sing a melody in tune.

I don't want to listen to someone make noise that sounds like the Cookie Monster on crack with his nuts in a vice.

I don't get it. Maybe I am too old.

7. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    porcupine tree

8. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

9. oh yeah, sing it brother...the worst

the second worst

davesignatureII-1.

10. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    There's far more popular music I don't like than I do, but I rarely feel the need to post them on the internet.

11. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    The Beatles go over my head every time.

12. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    No hate here. If I hear a band on the radio that I don't care for I just change stations.

13. Badger71

Badger71

Mar 24, 2013
    Very true! I like melody in music and find it hard to appreciate what just seems like growling over fuzz and drums

14. jason weatherby

jason weatherby

Aug 30, 2012
    In no particular order:
    Bruce Stinkspleen
    Rush
    Cheap Trick
    Bob Meager
    Foreigner
    Van Halen
    ANY attempt at a Beatles cover

15. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I don't get the Allman Brothers, the Grateful Dead, the Stones, or Springsteen.

I might still be into the Allmans if one of my first cover bands hadn't had about 8 of their songs on the setlist. Pretty sure I would feel that way about the Dead, the Stones and Springsteen regardless, though.

16. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    Bass players: Flea, Lemmy, Les Claypool, never understood the attraction to them.

Guitarists: Jimi Hendrix, Carlos Santana. Never cared for their styles.

Bands/Artists: Rolling Stones, Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana, Radiohead, Kid Rock, Prince, Michael Jackson, David Bowie. Just about every current "Pop" star. Anyone who relies on sampling.

17. LakeEffect

LakeEffect

Feb 21, 2013
    Denver
    The Beatles, I know they are amazing musicians and 'paved the way' yadda...

I just would always put something else on before them, sonic/temporal priorities I guess.

18. dannnnn

dannnnn

Nov 14, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    +1

19. richntiff

richntiff Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern Wisconsin
    any metal that has been recorded since they got all 'genre crazy' it all sucks and has nothing worthwhile to say.

20. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    For myself, i don't get U2. They have influenced so much popular and praise & worship music with their style. I have had enough!