1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bands I want to get into but just can't

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Scooberto, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Rex Brown is one of my all time favorite bassists. I like almost everything he's ever done. Almost. Back when I found he quit Down, I was left wondering "well what's he gonna do now?" Enter Kill Devil Hill. It's pretty much a super group and for me super groups are hit or miss. I've listened to about 10 songs from their gathered catalog and as much as I like what the members have done in the past, this group just entirely misses the mark. I really thought I'd be all about it but man, I just can't get into them. I saw a comment on YouTube left by someone that said "this music is for people who love motorcycles and everything about them, but don't have one, yes this a derogatory remark." I was paraphrasing but you get the point. So this spun me of into wondering (I know, I wonder a lot) are there bands that you thought you would be into but just can't force yourself to listen to? Could be past or present but mostly mainstream rock. What are your thoughts?

2. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    damageplan. grateful dead. kill devil hill. down III did nothing for me, but I loved II, sooo... Anything Fu Manchu has done since the Godzilla ep, I'm sure they'll surprise me eventually with a new album that I want to listen to more than twice.

3. Several people have said that I should listen to and would enjoy Dream theater. I am a big classic prog fan. Sorry, but it isn't for me.

4. Boom762

Boom762 I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Lubbock, TX
    Im pretty picky with music. In the field of Rex Brown, Pantera was the ONLY thing I could get into of his. I detest the new soft, groove, whiskey bands like Hellyeah and Kill Devil Hill.

Dream Theater has very few peces I like. I can get into MOST of the album "sYSTEMATIC cHAOS", I like the song "On the backs of Angels", and there is some older album I've yet to discover where they actually sound like thrash metal kinda. I just never took the time out to find it.

John Myung pisses me off. He's TOO good. Dude just sits their with zero personality, no facial expressions, no signs of really trying to perform a difficult song, all the while playing stuff that no matter how hard I try I just cannot play it perfect. He's so good, he makes me pick up a bass, only to put it down 20 minutes later in disapointment.

One of my favorite songs on that Chaos album is "Dark Eternal Night". It's about a pharoah's ghost coming back to claim the souls of the egyptions.

Scooberto likes this.
  5. Almost every band and artist this board likes I don't listen to. This topic's bands included. And I should to appreciate great bassists, I just dig a lot of the music regardless how good (or bad) those bands/artists may be.

shorty4life likes this.
  6. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out....

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    For me, this would include every popular 60's/70's group except Sabbath and Rush. I just can't get into Zepplin, The Stones, The Doors, Grateful Dead,The Beatles...

Would also be all of the 90's mainstream/'grunge" stuff; nu metal...

The Ramones, the Sex Pistols...could never stand all of that stuff growing up. It seemed so contrives.

I love Prog-Metal, but I could never get all of the side-projects-turned-super groups that sprang out of some of the original guys. It got to be overwhelming in the mid/late 90's to keep up with many groups that were all really doing the same thing

I Need a six... likes this.
  7. I liked the fact that Dime and Vinnie moved and kept playing, but Damageplan was not a step in the right direction, in my opinion. I had heard that the singer was getting pissed that the band was doing Pantera songs. I can see his point that the shows were supposed to be about the new band, but more than half of the fans that came to Damageplan shows were Pantera fans first. Why not pay homage? Pantera was all that Dime and Vinnie knew for almost 20 years. I know I would have been upset to go see Damageplan and not hear a Pantera song or two.

John Myung is too good. I never thought I could say that about anyone apart from Victor Wooten. But yeah, he's definitely who is supposed to be in Dream Theater.

Stuart Zender is another one who is amazing but I just can't get into Jamiroquai. Great bass player though.

8. I Need a six...

I Need a six...

Feb 4, 2015
    This is my exact experience I have with rhcp. Fleas a monster bass player, but I hate the chilli peppers. They just harass my eardrums with they're crappy songs, I own Blood sugar, Californication, by the way and I don't like a single song on any of them. Sorry guys, couldn't walk past this one.

Gluvhand likes this.
  9. I heard years ago that when RHCP were on tour with Faith No More, Anthony Kiedis got Faith No More kicked off of the European leg of the tour because Mike Patton was "copying" Kiedis's vocal style. Mike Patton may do many things, but copying a tired rhymey-rap style isn't one of them. JMO

10. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

Them Crooked Vultures

I basically love everything all three members have played on.

Except this album. Unsure why.

I love JPJ but these basslines don't do it for me the way so many of his basslines that are my favourites do ,Lemon Song, Ramble On, Fool In The Rain....

Scooberto likes this.
  11. I agree. All three separately made great music, but together, not so much. Plus the one song they played on the radio forever got me turned off of them. I love JPJ's basslines though, the absolute most underrated man in Led Zeppelin. Played bass, mandolin, guitar, and keys but Plant, Page, and Bonham get all the love? :rollno:

12. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Nearly every friend, acquaintance, or internet stranger with whom I share a significant number of Favorite Musical Artists invariably gets around to mentioning XTC...but apparently I somehow evolved into a mutant who likes all the same bands as these folks *except* XTC.

Not liking XTC doesn't bother me, but the fact that they seemingly are part of a package deal -- if you like all these bands you must also like XTC -- just wigs me out.

Sorry, I just don't get the connection.

13. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Does that Jaco Pastramius guy count as a band?