Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bands like Nightwish that aren't Nightwish

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Oct 19, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    My girlfriend gave me a Nightwish CD to listen to (I believe it's "Century Child"), and I've been checking it out for a little while.

My basic question is, are there any bands that do what Nightwish does but do it in a less... corny manner?

I like the concept. I think that grandiose symphonic metal would be really, really cool - except that Nighwish is really, really cheesy. The theory is there, but the execution is lacking. But that's just me. :meh:

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Therion has the grandiose symphonic metal thing down, and has been doing it longer than almost any band around. No corn either.

3. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    Therion without a doubt.

Nightwish are terribly cheesy, but in an entertaining way =]

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Depends on your willingness to tolerate black metal vocals.. because Symphonic Black metal is amazing...

You want CHEESE!?!?! Check out Rhapsody!!! They are like Nightwish except like twice as over the top!! Orchestras, Choirs, Dragons, Explosions, etc. Male vocals though, 80s metal style... but the music is so great!! It's a good time.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I have no problem with metal vocals of any variety. if there are any symphonic black metal bands you can recommend, please do so.

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Dimmu Borgir got incredibly symphonic on their later albums. "Puritancal Euphoric Misanthropia" and "Death Cult Armegeddon" both have the Gothenburg Symphony in place of electronic synths. Excellent work that really moves beyond the bands earlier black metal roots.

Emperor's last album "Prometheus" is really complex musically with a lot of rich synth work, but I don't know if you'd consider it symphonic.

Cradle of Filth "Dusk...and Her Embrace" is another metal album with a great blend of symphonic lushness and brutal heaviness. If you've heard other stuff by CoF and didn't like it please listen to this one anyway, its so different from anything else they released before or after that its almost comical. One of my favorite metal albums ever.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    As Divine Grace is really good, they are kinda doomy/black metal... I don't know, interesting stuff. I like the concept of symphonic black metal, but I don't know too many bands that pull it off like I want it.

8. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Hey - pardon the hijack, but I love the music and the female vox on CoF stuff, and just can't get into the guy's screeching. What of theirs features, uh, less guy screeching? =0) Also, on which album is Nymphetamine (is that the right word?)?

9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Btw, Nightwish just ditched their singer Tarja ;)

10. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    They should be ditching their bassist marco aswell soon.

11. smartinson

smartinson

Dec 15, 2005
    Bettendorf, IA
    If you like Nightwish you should also check out Within Temptation, they are a little more 'doomy' as far as tempo goes but their singer has a great voice. Also After Forever and Leaves' Eyes are great female fronted metal bands. ...and speaking of CoF, Liv Kristine, the singer in Leaves' Eyes and ex-Theatre Of Tragedy singer was the female voice on Nymphetamine.

12. Sorry to blow my own horn but you should check out the band I'm currently playing with, DUEL OF FATE. They are sort of like Nightwish... check them out @

http://www.myspace.com/dueloffate

13. Lacuna Coil

14. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Haha my friend is getting into them and he's trying to drag me in too.