Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bands missing from mtv video awards

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Any ideas why bands like Red hot chilli peppers, foo fighters or audio slave did not get nominted for awards this year. I cant see why, these were very active bands that made videos this year.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Post removed by Moderator for offensive content.

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    oh i didn't see that one coming :rolleyes::D

but seriously, maybe because they fit more into the MTV2 crowd but are not as alternative to be nominated for the MTV2 awards

and why the heck im i explaining MTV? jesus christ that channel suck

4. i just think it's funny that mtv2 is advertised as "where the music's at."

isn't that what "Music TeleVision" was supposed to be from the get-go?

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Jeez, when will people stop using that as a derogatory term? :rolleyes:

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

When they come out of the closet:D

7. when people stop being close-minded and eager to hate/fear what they do not know.

so...never. :(

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Idk, its a teen thing.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

why do you choose to perpetuate it?

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    so far i have seen you use it twice, please STOP.

this is not your buddy's house or a yahoo chatroom

Content removed by Moderator for offensive content.

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Oh, well then that's okay.

12. Audioslave didn't get nominated probably because they didn't want a repeat of Timmy C climbing up the stage set as a protest at not winning:p

13. the vmas arent really live any more befor they were delayed 5 mins, ill try and find the thing i was reading, but the reason there not delayed 5 mins is because of tim c.

my manger at bk is gay, and he says things are gay all the time.would u have a problem with that.he was going off about how mtv is so gay,and omg i cant even typ wat he said about the guy from trl.

little off topic
    allmost the only reason any one does any thing is because there told they cant, 90% of my school dose drugs, and only 2 % of that only smokes weed. the othere 88% do heavey drugs like e,,coke, herion.i get a kick out of every time a coke head says the reason they dont smoek weed is cause they dont want cancer. u gotta love knowing u tax money for the war on drugs is being wasted.
    no lie we had dare class 6th grade second term, by the end of the 3rd trem every one i new was smokeing weed.

14. When someone comes up with a better derogatory word.

15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There is not a single pop music award that cares about music, so why bother.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's really sad if your vocabulary is that limited, to the point where you can only insult something by using a racial or homophobic slur.

BTW, it's not a teen thing. There are lots of teens on this board who are respectful and don't perpetuate such ignorant ideas. What it is is a disrespect thing, and an ignorance thing, and since the word is not coming from 'teens'-it's coming from your mouth (or fingers)-it's also a you thing.

17. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    the punk part of that statement is wrong

good charlotte, simple plan and other bands on mtv are NOT punk, i don't know why everyone thinks they are

i have yet to see a REAL punk band on mtv in a long time

bands like pennywise, rancid, anti-flag, social distortion, etc

18. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Clay I agree with you on the "what people think punk is" part, but I've seen Rancid on MTV/MTV2 quite a few times, not just the same video, plus since the new cd just came out they have a new video. Also, they arn't as punk as they once were but AFI is on quite often, I saw a video for Cult Status the other day, as well as a few others. I agree though that most peoples perceptions of punk are way, way off. I wish bands like Avail, Screeching Weasle, Blatz, crass, zagota, and other gutter/crusty bands would make videos, but then it would become cool and get exploited as well which I really wouldn't care because I love a song/band regardless of what others think.

As for the use of the word "GAY" as a deragtory word, it is very sad that it gets used that way. One of my best friends is homosexual, he also says things are "gay" or "how queer", but I totally despise the use of such words that are deragatory. When will people brighten up and understand that we are all ignorant, that we all need to step out of that hole and realize that childish catch phrases and deragtory words only reflect on their own ignorance as well as project a picture of our society. It's sad, very sad. I have only seen this posted a few times on this board but everytime, it really bothers me. There should be some repercussion.
    well enough of my rant
    peace
    -Ben

19. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    hahahahahaha :D

It was actually a protest of Limp Bizkit winning, not Rage losing, but still :)

20. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    really? i watch mtv/mtv2 somewhat often and i havn't seen rancid in a while... back when "and out come the wolves" came out i saw videos alot, but not recently

and now i wouldn't even consider AFI punk, i mean i liked them before they got big, like when back in the days of "answer that and stay fashionable" and "black sails in the sunset"... but "since sing the sorrow" came out and they released "girls not grey" its kinda sad that everyone claims to love them now but can't name 5 songs from before "sing the sorrow", or even "the art of drowning"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.