Bands on the Run (not an ad)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, May 14, 2001.

Which bassist is best?

Poll closed May 19, 2001.
  1. Josh Dodes Band

12 vote(s)
  2. Flickerstick

5 vote(s)
  3. SoulCracker

1 vote(s)
  4. Harlow

1 vote(s)
  1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I was reluctant to post this thread. I didn't want to give free advertizing to VH-1. Anayway, I must admit, I've been intrigued by the show "Bands on the Run". It's basically like Survivor or Big Brother. Thing is, I'm pretty unimpressed with the mixing. I wanted to hear some bass. What I have heard is really vanilla.
  2. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    this is the show where they give you like $100 or whatever and tell you to make it in show biz on live teevee for our viewing pleasure right? Boy, someone's gotta stop these teevee weirdos. I won't screw up your vote since I have not seen any of these dudes. :D
  3. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I know this isn't on the topic but I want Flickerstick to win, if not them then I want Harlow. I think Soulcracker has the right work ethic, but I don't think they can hold their own musically against Flickerstick. That was shown last night by the battle of the bands. And has anyone else who watches noticed that VH1 uses Flickerstick tunes as background music, even when the show isn't focusing on them? Perhaps there's a subtle meaning to that.
  4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    they eliminated Josh Dodes Bands yesterday...

IMO they had the best bassist (all the bassist are pretty much lost in the mix but at least this one looked like a real bassist :D)

Harlow pretty much sucks but i think the producers want to keep them alive just because they are weird and crazy :D

Flickerstick and Soulcracker have some talent but nothing that i've heard before.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Soulcracker would be my choice to go out and hear. That lead singer, though...JEEZ, that guy needs a makeover, baaadly, to be a frontman. The tails-out dress shirts that look like dad's hand-me-downs, the chess-club-president hair, etc., just look like he ought to be building model airplanes instead of fronting a rock band.
    Their ability to go acoustic when there was no power really impressed me.

Unfortunately, I think Harlow has the most commerical potential, the most "gimmick" and the least technical ability. The Barbie dolls, dressed like Harlow, merchandise is inspired...pure Kiss-doll.

Josh Dodes has the best musicians, but their "graduate student" appeal and lack of image holds them back, IMO. Plus, I'm not sure a younger, club audience that wants to rock likes an earful of top-of-the-mix keyboards all night. But, they're history anyway, as far as the show goes.

Flickerstick is your average bar band.
  6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    exactly my point... also their drummer was pretty good...
  7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I thought that singer was Bababoohey's thinner brother. That hair...I gather he's not doing this for the babes (ref. the Onion).

I didn't thing Josh Dodes' bassist was all that hot. You could hardly hear him. Than again, you could hardly hear any bass on that show. JoJo did kick ASS!

By the way, how dumb do you have to be to bag some broad who was just doing your brother. Meanwhile, duh, you're on TV, and engaged, with a kid!!! Fletcher, you are a GENIUS!!!
  8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Musically, I think Harlow is pretty tired. They do have what seems to be most important in the music industry nowadays though - looks. That drummer sure seems to enjoy pimping the band. I think their guitarist (the ugly dark-haired one, not the ugly blonde one) has a poor attitude.
    The Josh Dodes Band, IMO was the most musical of the bands and I was sad to see them go. My guess is that in the end, Harlow will come out the winners. They have a wider appeal to them - they are empowering to women and the men like to fantasize about 'em.
  9. rickbass

LMAO!!! - He does have that Bababooie thing going on, doesn't he? I think he has talent, but it's like, look at your competition and get a makeover!

I agree on Dodes' bassist. He may be very knowledgeable about notation and theory, for all I know, but when it comes time to deliver, he bores me to death. Plus, he came off as a total a****le.
  10. I agree with everything stated above. :)
  11. Here's my 2 cents:Flickerstick-good songwriting IMO.If I were an A&R rep,I would be interested in their songs.
    Josh Dodes Band-They are the most talented out of those four.
    Harlow-They have an image that you definitely remember,but musically they suck.
    Soulcracker-They are the hardest working of all the four.I don't know what to think of their songs,but I hope their persistence pays off.
    All in all,those groups are getting massive exposure just for being on Bands on the Run.It may help or hurt them,who knows,the music biz is so fickle and untrustworthy.
  12. berserk

Aug 24, 2000
    Parma, Ohio
    Josh Dodes Band and Harlow are completely bland and uninteresting musically. Flickerstick and Soulcracker are both interesting and if either were well produced could sound relatively good. I have also noticed them playing Flickerstick's music during the show and think that they are trying to possibly tell us something, either that or the music guy just liked Flickerstick best.
  13. Harlow sucks (i love heavy music, but i insist on some talent with it). Josh Dodis Band is boring (I was trying to explain to my wife that if you have backup singers, they need to be hot. she doesn't understand though). Soulcracker works thier butts off and I respect that, but are not impressive musicly. NOTE TO SOULCRACKER: The 80's called and wants it's guitar back. Flickerstick comes off like a bunch of drunk jerks, but they sounded the best at the battle of the bands. But the way they fight, they'll probably break up before the shows over.

We'll show though.
  14. That says it all!!! They ain't no DrainSTH.
  15. rickbass

Have anyone seen how they decided who's worked the boards? I didn't seen any cabs miked and the only crowd shots I've seen were of bar customers. Did they just hire locals who never heard the bands before?

In the small clubs, it looked like they ran their own PA's.
  16. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Flickerstick is the best band, hands down, listening wise. But Josh Dodes has good musicians, and for sure Darryl is the best bassist. My favorite Darryl moment is when they picked up some homeless guy and he picked a fight with Darryl.
    But Josh Dodes Band would get stuff thrown at them at alot of clubs around here.
  17. Josh Dodes Band- best musicians- least marketable

That's what I figured out when I was thinking about their stuff. They're great musicians.. but look at today's pop, JDB would be good for cruises, not for mainstream.
  18. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Honestly, I have to say that I would rather see Josh Dodes playing Margaritaville at a Tiki Hut somewhere in Myrtle Beach or something than his own music.

SoulCracker was kinda cool though. But what was with the guy who looked like Dave Grohl in the band? He didn't play an instrument, but he wasn't really the singer. He was kinda like the old guy from Arrested Development who just sat in the rocking chair. No real purpose. He is funny to watch though.
  19. I 've just finished watching the latest segment.I'm glad Flickerstick is still in the running.IMO they have the best songs out of all the bands.I would buy their cds.I wished that Harlow would go away.All they have going for them is their image and the trashy antics that follow The other bands aren't totally innocent,but at least Soulcracker and Flickerstick have some talent.It's sad that Josh Dodes was eliminated but that is no surprise.Their sound isn't considered marketable for the current music that is "popular" these days.In the end I hope Flickerstick wins.