Bands Similar To Jamiroquai?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by invisiman, May 7, 2005.

1. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I have been absolutley lovin' this band of late, but I don't want to wear them out too soon, ya know? ;) The closest I can think of off the top of my head is Red Hot Chili Peppers, but that only makes for two bands :bawl:

And as always, any and all help in my plight is appreciated :bassist:
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    You might want to check out
  3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Los Amigos Invisibles. A Mexican version, and funky as hell. Also, I have some early Maroon 5 boots, and they had a Jami vibe as well.
  4. I recommend you a band from Chile named Chancho en Piedra they soud great,
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have 3 early Jamiroquai me, they sound like a retro-'70s R&B/Funk/Soul band with a '90s flair.
    How 'bout The Brand New Heavies? Something like BrotherSister or Brand New Heavies, perhaps.

If you happen to like Jamiroquai's vocalist-
    Check out the classic '70s Stevie Wonder albums-
    Talking Book
    Songs In The Key Of Life
    Fulfillingness' First Finale
  6. Brand New Heavies for sure! Check out the self-titled one, Brother/Sister, and Heavy Rhyme Experience...Shelter is OK but not as good. Put the funk back in it!

Also Incognito
    Bass_Thumper and 10cc like this.
  7. Los Amigos Invisibles are from Venezuela, not Mexico, and yep they are funky. :)
    r10 likes this.
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Beat me to it, the second I saw this thread I though... well the singer wants to be Stevie Wonder pretty bad...

Maroon 5 has a somewhat similar vibe... I'd say closer than the chili peppers.
  9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Really? I find Maroon 5 absolutely devoid of funk, whereas Chili Peppers and Jamiroquai both have ample supplies of it.

I would reccommend Ozomatli, they' re on more of a hip-hop/latin funk trip as opposed to Jamiroquai's old-school Motown vibe, but they're still worth checking out.
  10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Notice I said "early bootlegs". They were very funky before they got signed.
  11. MaHei

Dec 24, 2002
    A bit more Jazzy, perhaps the older Incognito albums. The newer ones have more of a soul, r&b vibe.

And second the Brand New Heavies.
  12. If you want that electro sound they have, check out Air's Virgin Suicides soundtrack, it's wonderful.
  13. dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    perhaps take a look at the Acid Jazz back catalogue, that shd sort you out for a fair while.
  14. It's not really like him at all, but if you just wanna have some good bass playing and grooves, please check out Erykah Badu (live is even better).
    Or D'angelos voodo. Oh my god, that's what groove is all about.
  15. BOFHEY

Feb 23, 2015
    Jamiroquai are unfairly labeled as Acid Jazz, they really are soul/funk/disco & are incredible live. I'm a muso myself, (guitar/bass/vocals), and would happily say that Jay Kay, Rob Harris & Paul Turner are the Stevie Wonder, Donald Dunn & Steve Cropper of our generation. Just watch Live in Verona to see how awesome this band are live & how much they love their music.
  16. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    Brand new heavies
    Los amigos invisibles
    Down to the bone (Paul turner played on some of their stuff)
    Groove collective

Old stuff
    Pleasure - future now and other albums
    Stevie wonder 70's records
  17. 10cc

Oct 28, 2013
  18. Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    Incognito is the closest that I'm aware of. Now you just want something funky as hell, check out Lettuce.
    10cc likes this.