Bands Similar to Liquid Tension Experiment?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BassGod, Jan 20, 2006.

1. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'm looking for some bands that play the same kinda stuff as LTE. And like LTE, it has to be all instrumental, and preferably something where the bass stands out more (yes, I realize Levin is amazing, but I wish he stood out more in the mix). It's just that they only released two albums, and that's not satisfying enough.

I'm basically looking for fast, self-indulgent music, from a band in which there are no weak links (i.e. "They're good, but the drummer sucks.").

I know LTE is 3/5 of Dream Theater, so do they have any instrumental songs? I would probably give them a chance, if it weren't for that godawful singer.

So, any recommendations for me?

Graeme :bassist:
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'll hook you up with these Dream Theater songs via AIM when I get home. They're all instrumental.

Ytse Jam
    Metropolis Part I (it's not instrumental but there's not very much vocals and the music is ownage x10099)
    Hell's Kitchen
    The Dance of Eternity
    Stream of Consciousness
    Instrumedley (A live medley of a lot of Dream Theater songs)

I think you'll like all of those. You might like Gordian Knot too if you like LTE and DT.

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Planet X: ex-DT keyboardist Derek Sherinian, Tony MacAlpine on guitar, Virgil Donati on drums, and a "who's who" of bassists: Tom Kennedy, Jimmy Johnson, Billy Sheehan, Tony Franklin, and Dave LaRue (current bassist Rufus Philpot is their first full-timer).

They "out-LTE" LTE, and that's saying tons. Much more jazz/fusion and virtually none of the cheesiness that I think brings down Liquid Tension Experiment.
  4. Check out Derek Sherinian's Black Utopia. It's very fusion oriented and has Zakk Wylde, Ynwgie, Billy Sheehan, Al DiMeola, Steve Lukather all playing together. It's all instrumental and is comparable to LTE.

Otherwise, +1 for Gordian Knot, not as shreddy as LTE or the Derek Sherinian stuff but equally good, it has Sean Malone on bass. He is a sick man.
  5. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Check out Racer X aswell, also Billy sheehan.

+1 on DT's 'The Dance of Eternity' great instrumental,

I also think labrie's vocals are a bit cheesy at most times.. but, i just phase it out, and take in all the great instrument parts.
  6. I'll second the Derek Sherinian and Planet X CDs. Great stuff. Sick heavy fusion.
  7. All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    :eek: Zakk and Yngwie!? :bassist: Man I gotta hear some of this!!
  8. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT