1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bands similar to Necrophagist?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by IconBasser, Apr 3, 2009.

1. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    I can't seem to find any bands that run in a similar vein to Necrophagist.

I've already got the new Obscura album, so I know about them.

ALSO: I can't find any bands similar to Aeon. They're my favorite of the genre, but I can't find anybody that is as intense as them.

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!! :hyper:

2. I dont think there will be too many bands exactly like necrophagist, try looking at one of those "best deathmetal moments" or somthing like that videos on youtube.

3. Obscura are better than necrphagist if you ask me, you should check out bands like death and athiest tech death bands that would have most certainly influenced necrophagist. as for aeon your on about the satanic death metal band correct? checkout stuff liek visceral bleeding, goregasm and Brain drill if you want massivly technical brutal death metal.

hope i was a help

4. I guess Carcass are somewhat similar, but they are obviously an older band. I haven't really been following extreme metal too deeply in a few years though.

5. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    thanks for the speedy reply Arpeggiator! I don't really like Death or Atheist, but I'll give your other suggestions a listen.

6. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Meshuggah. No bass solos in this band though:crying:.

7. i wouldnt say meshuggah is anything like necrphagist. awsome band though :D

8. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Well, they're both technical death metal, meshuggah's just more insane polyrhythms: i.e. (New Millenium Cyanide Christ) drumming in 4/4, bass and guitars in 23/16.

9. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    me likey brain drill. Thanks, arpeggiator!

10. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Technically, the kick drum is also playing in the same time as the guitars, which aren't in 23/16 after the intro, anyway.

But I think that the OP is after stuff that's a little less midtempo, otherwise I'd be recommending him Meshuggah's I EP.

Actually, I'm still going to... :p

Check out "I". 21 minutes of tech-y goodness.

11. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Beneath The Massacre is pretty good.

Oh, and definitely check our Arsis if you haven't heard them yet, very technical death metal.

12. Gorguts is pretty intense. Book of Black Earth, and Augury too. I'm not saying they're just like Aeon, but intense and sort of similar.

13. Rather than risk mentioning bands that ALWAYS get mentioned on here I'll list off some bands that I rarely see mentioned but deserve more attention:

Psycroptic (touring the US at the moment I think, awesome show if you get the chance)
    Obscura
    Psyopus (these guys are a bit like being raped in the ear)
    Gojira
    Soilwork

Check them out, well worth it IMHO!

14. Check These Bands Out
    Decrepit Birth
    The Faceless
    Odious Mortem
    Severed Savior
    Spawn of possession
    And if you like NoiseCore
    Iwrestledabearonce
    The Plasma Rifle

15. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Oh yeah, I'd also recommend Origin, their newest album "Antitheses" is pretty cool.

16. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    thanks for the help guys. I've already got some Origin, great band!

17. I second The Faceless for some extreme technicality! Some other bands that are worth a listen are Martyr, Sadus, Bloodbath, the album "Defiant Imagination" by Quo Vadis(Steve DiGiorgio plays fretless on this album and it's insane!).they're all not as technically driven but definitely worth a listen.

18. Gah, I can't believe I missed Bloodbath, a big +1 to Bloodbath, awesome band!

19. BASS SUCKS

BASS SUCKS

Feb 3, 2009
    Cryptopsy (None So Vile) - Highly recommended
    Lykathea Aflame (Elvenefris) - Highly recommended
    Nile (In Their Darkened Shrines)
    Suffocation (Effigy of the Forgotten)
    The Ocean (Precambrian)
    maudlin of the Well (Bath)

20. Implosion

Implosion

Oct 19, 2007
    Finland
    Everytime I see Origin get mentioned I just get an irresistible need to post a video of our drummer :D

btw, not antitheses. Antithesis.