1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bands/Singers that aged well on stage

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by foq1978, Jan 11, 2012.

1. foq1978

foq1978

Aug 7, 2009
    Rio de Janeiro
    I've been seeing a lot of what you would call "ageism" around TB, lately, mostly directed at Van Halen's new video.

It could be my mid-life crisis around the corner, but it kinds of upsets me that people make such comments. ("geriatrics", "drunk grandpa", etc).

On the other side, I cannot help but see their point. Songs and stage presence should get more mature along with the band. Maybe that's not the case with VH. It looks (and sounds) like they're aiming for the same feeling they transmitted 20-30 years ago. Maybe that's what they think their audience want, maybe that's what they want. In any case, I respect their choice.

Anyway, I think some bands and singers age more gracefully on stage (and recordings) than others. Some are particularly good at it -- actually improving over their 20+ years career. Such as:

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds
    Tom Waits
    Bob Dylan
    Noel Gallagher is not there yet (a bit too young), but will get there.

(I guess it's easier on the singer/songwriter type)

Who else?

2. bassophil

bassophil

Jan 17, 2009
    Lemmy

3. foq1978

foq1978

Aug 7, 2009
    Rio de Janeiro
    Lou Reed

4. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

Tina Turner, Bonnie Raitt, Eric Clapton, George Porter, Jr., Little Feat

5. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    The Rolling Stones :spit:

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I don't agree. With all those guys put their bodies thru for all those years they are doing damn good. Yeah they look rough but they always did they are the Stones. They are still lean and mean and can still bring it well into their 60's going on their 50th year together....how many can do that?

7. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Geddy Lee and the guys at Rush still sound the same and don't look out of place on stage even though probably pushing or past 60. Its incredible how his voice has held up over the years.

8. Eater_of_Birds

Eater_of_Birds UK Extreme User

May 4, 2010
    Scotland
    I wouldnt say Noel Gallagher as he is an ---hole IMO. Lemmy for sure.

As for VH I think its less about age and more about selling out - see a recent thead on them booting out their old bass player for loads of that discussion (his name escapes me as im writing this)

9. foq1978

foq1978

Aug 7, 2009
    Rio de Janeiro
    Personal opinions aside, you don't like his music (past or current)?

Yes, they have this argument going on, as well. He was sacked so Eddie's son could play it. But the terms "grandpa", "geriatrics" and "drunk uncle" were used. Sounds a bit cruel, to me.

10. I don't see how Bob Dylan and Clapton could be credited for "aging well on stage". In both cases, they've always just stood in one place and played their instrument, usually looking at the floor or at the sky or with their eyes closed. Continuing to present yourself in that way isn't "aging gracefully", it's "still awake".

Certainly not in the same universe as David Lee Roth who, throughout the majority of his career, undertook acrobatics most of us could not dream of. It would be ridiculous to expect him to carry on at that level at his age.

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Iron Maiden - Bruce and Steve in particular still bring it every time I've seen them.

12. Actium

Actium

Jan 15, 2011
    Phil Anselmo.

He talks about how he used to stage dive into his monitors, head first, and is still walking somehow?

He isn't very old but has been through a lot.

13. repoman

repoman

Aug 11, 2011
    Kinderhook NY
    Robert Plant is still way cool on stage.
    Sting can still pull it off, too.

14. foq1978

foq1978

Aug 7, 2009
    Rio de Janeiro
    IMO, that's probably why they are still have credibility.

15. bmb73

bmb73

Aug 7, 2010
    San Diego
    Glen Hughes

16. I guess it depends what standard you're comparing it to and how you define "credibility". It's not like either of them are selling nearly as many albums as they were, or even that the general public even realizes they're still out there. I saw both of them play about 15 years ago and Bob was an incomprehensible jumbled mess. I've heard he's recovered a bit, but...still....

On the other hand, despite DLR toning down his stage presence significantly and a lot of people squawking about how they're not what they used to be, even my mom knows VH is about to tour, and they will sell out every arena.

My point is not that one band is better than another, or who is actually aging well or whatever. It's that "aging well" is easy when you start out being low-energy and standing in one place, so it's not fair to compare someone like that to VH or Prince or Ted Nugent.

BB King does all his shows sitting down (understandably). He's still widely respected and beloved. That doesn't mean you could argue his stage show is aging well.

17. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I have seen a lot of young bands perform and nobody is beating out Mick for on stage energy.

Maybe the young lady from Paramore.

18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    The title of the thread states "Aged well on stage".
    The person you quoted stated the Stones, with a razzberry (presumably stated in a "Yeah, so I said it" sort of way) and then you say you dont agree, while making his case?

:confused:

I think you took the :spit: the wrong way. :p

19. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

Keith.

20. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Steve Winwood.