Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bands that dissappeared.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Albino_Ryno, May 1, 2001.

1. Albino_Ryno

Albino_Ryno Guest

Sep 17, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    I was wondering what bands were out there that you guys liked and then just up and dissappeared. Not necessarily one hit wonders but just bands that just seemed to fall off of the face of the earth. One that comes to mind was the Spin doctors. They weren't the best band in the world but they were better than alot of the crap coming out today. They seemed to just dissappear. Let's hear some comments.

2. Joe R

Joe R

Nov 4, 2000
    Wenatchee WA. USA
    I always wondered what happened to Angel, They were like KISS except they wore white and no makeup they had some good songs and were actually in a the movie Foxes with Jodi Foster and Chachi, Then they vanished i have seen Greg Guiffria though off and on through the 80's, but were are Punky and there bass player Felix Robinson what the hell they been up to.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I was never really a big fan, but I saw one of those mindless VH1 trivia shows about artists that said they had some serious health issues. I don't remember what the health issues were though.

4. duff_hodges

duff_hodges

May 15, 2000
    Suffolk, UK
    I always wondered what happened to Chesney Hawkes after his one hit wonder with I Am The One And Only! Apparently he is making a come back with a new album, which hopefully will be released, here in the UK, in the summer!!!

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I liked the drummer from The Spin Doctors. I thought he kicked butt.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I don't get why The Deadlights didn't hit bigger. They seemed to have it all and broke big in some major markets and their video got some decent air.

What you're seeing with a lot of bands that fall off the face of the earth has to do with how their contract is structured.

You get a big advance, then, the sales royalties count against whatever, if anything, is left after the costs recording, touring, promo, etc., come out. In other words, royalties as repayment of the advance.

Once that amount is fulfilled, all the royalties off of sales, or at least a the major portion, go to the recording company. In essence, the contract is bought out and no further contractual ties exist. (My sad story :rolleyes: ). Many times, they make a business decision to drop the band, rather than reinvesting in future projects with them...take the money and run instead of gambling on the fact that the band might have more good material left.

7. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    The Spin Doctors are still around, albeit without the original guitarist and bassist. They released a new album a couple of years ago and went on tour, but maybe 10 shows into the tour, Chris Barron, the lead singer, developed a cyst or something on his vocal cords and the tour was scrapped. Now they're kind of starting all over again. :-/

Vintage Spin Doctors stuff is incredible... The bassist (Mark White) and drummer (Aaron Comess) were so tight and funky it's not even funny. Eric Schenkman, their guitarist, was incredible too. A lot of his chordal work was jazz-inspired, as was Aaron's drumming.

Any album from Pocket Full of Kryptonite up through Turn It Upside Down is well worth a listen. I have all of their albums, but PFOK, the live Homebelly Groove album, and TIUD are the best.

8. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    What ever happened to Tangier they put out one great album in 1990 and then they were gone!

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    While they weren't my favorite band, I liked some songs from the band A-ha (norsefolk, help me out here)

I also liked a british band called The Men They Couldn't Hang. I heard they regrouped, but I don't know for sure.

Will C.:cool:

10. Basswou

Basswou

Apr 15, 2001
    Belgium

A-ha released recently a new single . I think it was called Stay

11. The nearest reason I can tell is that their album was weak. I saw them live twice and thought they were great both times (Megadeth's Risk Tour and Ozzfest '00) however when I bought the album I was very dissapointed. They have none of the emotion and conviction on the album that they have live, it was all very lack luster and sounded almost "tired". Plus the recording/mastering quality wasn't very good either.

Just my $0.02

12. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    There's probably dozens of bands that have disappeared. The biggest name I can recall would be Queen, who seemingly vanished once Freddie Mercury got AIDS. They kept it hush-hush until he died, but I always wondered why a band so hugely popular dropped out of sight.
    Same for The Tubes - I recall reading that they actually went bankrupt at the point where they were hitting the mainstream.
    We could almost say that Van Halen has disappeared, since they haven't appeared anywhere but the gossip columns for so long.

13. I really don't see Queen putting out disks after Freddie died, but there are still a lot of great stuff that people probably don't know is out there, when I mention Queen most people always know the radio staples, but all of their disk had great songs that never saw the radio, night at the . . ., day at the . . . and sheer heart attack are some of my favorite disks of all time. Jazz and News to the World are also great. After Jazz I stopped listening to them, don't know if it was the next disk or the time of the season.

The Tubes, before I even played bass I helped a friend of mind do lights for them and Devo, my friend got a gig doing lights for Bruce Springsteen and that was the last I saw of him. But both bands had great songs and bass players, maybe not the type of players that would make you want to pick up the bass, but the type that should be noticed.

the problem with both of these bands is that their music took more than one listen.

for DEVO I would say these are great:
    Are We not Men
    Duty Now for the Future
    Freedom of Choice

for the Tubes:
    The Tubes
    Young and Rich
    The Completion Backward Principle
    What do you want from Live

14. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    They are back together with a new album out, called 'Minor Earth Major Sky'. The single I think is 'Summer moved on'.

Not my favourite band either, but good songs - 'Take on me' (first single), 'The sun always shines on TV', 'I've been loosing you'...

Check out
    http://www.majorband.com/ for more.

15. Two spring to mind:

Scarlet (did "Independant Love Song") and
    OMC (did "How bizarre")

16. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Wrathchild America
    Scatterbrain

17. I thought Buckcherry was fairly decent, but havent heard from them in awhile

18. what about Videodrone?
    awsome band....

19. LimpChunk9

LimpChunk9

May 8, 2001
    Bronx, NY
    Videodrone broke up.

20. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You're kidding right? ;) They were one of the worst live bands I have ever seen.