Bands that don't need guitars

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Against Will, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I just thought I'd post a couple of links of some cool bands that I enjoy that realize that you don't really need strings smaller than .45 gauge.

MAN: Bassist w/ a kick drum and a lot on him chest.

Lightning Bolt: Providence duo who are at risk of becoming bed fellows with the electroclash crowd.

Lightning Bolt is the more interesting of the two, but MAN is really pissed, and in a way epitomizes the DIY spirit. He couldn't find any guys to make a band with, so he made up his own act.
  2. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    :D Hahahaha MAN is hilarious! That's the most distorted bass sound I've ever heard, even my ODB-3 can't Modify my sound THAT much!:D

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I just ordered his CD.
  4. Heh, my band PBM recorded at the same studio as MAN; we got a bunch of free buttons with that logo from his front page :D Never actually heard his stuff (I'll check out the MP3s later when I have more time), but the idea is certainly interesting.

Later this month, he's playing at a titty bar a few blocks from my high school...drove past that place almost every day for four years, and I had no idea they ever had live music. I should check out that show! ;)

Against Will, are you from the Detroit area?
  5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

No, I go to school about and hour north of the city (NYC). Though I'm thinking of moving to Chicago sometime in the forseeable future.