Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bands that don't need guitars

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Against Will, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I just thought I'd post a couple of links of some cool bands that I enjoy that realize that you don't really need strings smaller than .45 gauge.

MAN: Bassist w/ a kick drum and a lot on him chest.

Lightning Bolt: Providence duo who are at risk of becoming bed fellows with the electroclash crowd.

Lightning Bolt is the more interesting of the two, but MAN is really pissed, and in a way epitomizes the DIY spirit. He couldn't find any guys to make a band with, so he made up his own act.

2. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    :D Hahahaha MAN is hilarious! That's the most distorted bass sound I've ever heard, even my ODB-3 can't Modify my sound THAT much!:D

BEER! FOR! MAN!

:D

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I just ordered his CD.

4. Heh, my band PBM recorded at the same studio as MAN; we got a bunch of free buttons with that logo from his front page :D Never actually heard his stuff (I'll check out the MP3s later when I have more time), but the idea is certainly interesting.

Later this month, he's playing at a titty bar a few blocks from my high school...drove past that place almost every day for four years, and I had no idea they ever had live music. I should check out that show! ;)

Against Will, are you from the Detroit area?

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

No, I go to school about and hour north of the city (NYC). Though I'm thinking of moving to Chicago sometime in the forseeable future.