Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bands that have sold out.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bigmanb, Jul 5, 2001.

1. I'm really getting tired of a lot of good bands changing their style just to join the mainstream and earn a lot of money. What ever happened to it all being for the music? Here are some bands i think have sold out; what others do you think have?

Korn
    Limp Bizkit
    Jimmies Chicken Shack
    Smashing Pumpkins

2. sugar ray. i don't think anyone would argue with that.

3. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    those bastards, the Monkees!

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I have accused some of my favorite bands of "selling out" in the past, but if you think about it, the listening public and the record companies/producers should take some of the blame for "causing" a band to sell out. A perfect example of this is the Goo-Goo Dolls. I am not a huge fan of anything they have done, but I have heard that they had released several recordings before A Boy Named Goo came out. From what I know, they were told by their record company to, "Either write something 'radio-friendly' or we are dropping you." If you were in that same position, would you have declined and gone back to flipping burgers at the local Burger Barn, or would you have "sold out?" Sometimes to get what you really want, you have to give up something a little less important. As I finish this, I'd like to add: I am into music because I love it -- I live it. Most of you cannot grasp how big a part music plays in my life. On the other hand, I don't want to have to struggle or just get by, by working at the local quick lube station or corner grocery store.

5. totally. compare "lemonade and brownies" with "14:59" or the new album (i forget the name), big difference

6. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Metallica definitely sold out, but I doubt they'll be around for much longer.

I highly doubt Bizkit sold out, in fact, I don't really see any difference between 3 Dolla Bill Yall and Chocolate Starfish. It actually seems to me like the band has gotten better, not worse (which is usually what the public likes, horrible bands).

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Metallica

8. i don't think that KoRn has sold out as much as they could, but SUGAR RAY and BLINK 182 and OFFSPRING, but limp bizkit hasn't sold out, they just suck... well fred durst does anyways.

9. Korn definently didn't sell out, most of the Follow the leader album is about not selling out. They have gotten a little softer in the music but the lyrics have gotten darker though. IMO

10. The Offspring sold out big time. And Live.
    I dont think Korn sold out, Follow The Leader was pretty commercial, but Issues was less accessable and less mainstream, and as pharcyde said, the lyrics have gotten darker.
    Foo Fighters too. I think Kurt Cobain would hate what Dave Grohl has gone on to do.
    Jim

11. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    How true. They were a big influence on the Beatles, you know.

12. metallica. yes they have sold out...they've sold out every arena they've played.
    anyway back to other bands. i'm into music because i love it and it's the only thing i have remotely any talent in as anyone else should. if you were in band that has worked for, let's say, ten years just to get attention and you do happen to get signed, wouldn't you change your style to keep from having to go back to living with your parents or working at the same place kids half your age work because you can't let a dream die. don't worry, this isn't my life story, my life hasn't begun yet. but the bottom line is people have kids to feed.

13. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    metallica, definately.

14. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    NoDoubt. But you can't blame them. Like ReelBigFish said "No more Flipping burgers; putting on my silly hat. You know I don't want that no more!"

But how about a band that never sold out...the Ramones (all hail the greatest rock and roll band of all time).

Or the Toasters. You could never say they sold out. I bet they wish they had sometimes.

15. RHCFlea

RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    eminem - well, he's not really a band, but listen to Real Slim Shady (well that might be too much to ask, I don't want to) and it sounds exactly like pop. His old album was a lot better.

16. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    RH Chili Peppers have sold out to the almighty "Radio Hit", without a doubt. These guys used to be one of my favorite bands because they did their thing and didn't give a rat's ass what anyone thought. Then...."Under The Bridge"....big $$...now we have "Under The Bridge" parts II, III, IV.....with different titles. Some of this can be attributed to evolution and aging, and some of it's good, but they haven't even attempted to disguise the fact they're writing formula tunes. They're awfully weak nowadays. Didn't think I'd ever see that.

17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Add me to the list :)

I really dig it when I get paid. I play much better knowing those crisp Franklins are waiting for me when I finish :eek:

I'd sell out in a second, this IS the music BUSINESS ya know. Anybody who buys into that crap about "doing it for the music" must be mistaking rock stars for jazz musicians :)

18. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    is a band not allowed to write music in a different genre, than they are used too??

I remember a while back, a reasonably big canadian band(can't remember their name), broke their contract with their record company becuase the band wanted to write a different style album and the record company wouldnt let them.

I don't care if a band sells out or not, if I like their music I'll buy the album, If I don't like it, it stays on the shelf.

Of bands the Never "sold out/Jumped the shark" , the Ramones are definately at the top of that list. A couple years ago, I also would of said Stone Temple Pilots, but from what I have heard off the last couple albums (4 & shrangri ladi-fricken-da, I just dont care anymore (about their music).

19. i hate to say it, but i think weezer sold out. on the new album, it's obvious that rivers is dumbing down his music for pop consumption. on some songs it sounds like he wrote throwaway lyrics to build the music around, and just forgot to write new ones when the song was done. and the guitar solos! they're just the vocal melodies, note for note. it's like they completely gave in.

20. Why don't we name every band that has signed a contract to the list. Selling the rights to all their songs to record labels. The list of sellouts is enormous. I have no problem with this, but I think people should "check themselves at the door" before ragging on any band that doesn't sing songs that sound exactly the same as their first album. Stop buing the stuff if you think it's crap. May every single one of us one day have the chance to sell out.