Bands that sound like Primus

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ThePaste, Jan 14, 2001.

1. I was looking for some at but I couldn't find any that had *it*. Do you guys know any? Sausage and Les Claypool and the Holy Mackeral don't count! ;)
  2. why would you be looking past the original?
  3. Why not?

I agree they are the best (IMO for all you jazz/country etc people).

They are my favorite band, I want more like them! Yeeeeeehaaaaaawwwwww.
  4. bravotwozero

Jan 13, 2001
    The only band that i've heard of (and I own some of their records) that sound like Primus are an Australian band called Cartoon, they are very good even if they aren't original...
    p.s. if you are non-aussie getting their recrods may prove to be a very big challenge indeed, tell me how you go..

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Does Frog Brigade count? Todd Huth and Eenor on guits.
  6. Have you heard of a band called FreekBass? They are like primus and p-funk.
  7. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Try some of Buckethead's stuff. He's a fairly close associate of Les'.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    weeelll...I know of a band whos' bassist plays a very simmilar style to Les. Mudvayne. They're a hardcore outfit, and I don't know if your into that stuff, but the bassist will blow you away, and you'll see the Les analogy pretty quick. Check:

Everything and Nothing
    (K)now (F)orever
    Nothing to Gein
    Internal Primates Forever

Their Single "Dig" is ok, but doesn't really showcase what their about. Try those, Especially Know Forever and Everythign and Nothing. Those two are some good bass stuff. Check em out if your into that sh...stuff...
  9. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I have to agree on the mudvayne thing. They may not be your taste but there bassist shocked the hell out of me. Think Les Claypool in Fear Factory, Thats the best discription of them. Download Severed if you get a chance, sweet fretless action there.
  10. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    Try King Crimson. Kind of a cross between Primus and the Doors. And check napster for a band called Legs on Earth. They were a local band in my area, and they rocked!!! Seriously, check them out. Julian, the bass player/singer, had a custom six-string, 26 fret bass that was to die for. Look for pictures too.
  11. Whaa?? :confused:
  12. JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    The player from Mudvayne plays nothing like Claypool! Totally different styles. Slapping doesnt mean theyre similiar! Same with non-root notes! Totally different styles though.
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Not really all that differnt. They both use a more agressive style, have a little more funk/jazz inflected stuff than most root-note kings. And just a thought, have you heard them? (i.e. not just Dig on MTV) Just wonderin. The thing about the analogy is that he actually does have a style that's simmilar (not the same, just simmilar) to Les by most peoples standards. Mostly the analogy derives from his bass playing mroe up front than most people and is a different, sort of techinical funk/rock thing. Comes from he used to do Jazz Fusion for a while.
  14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ive heard them! Heard them plenty. And i love them! Ill have to agree, he plays nothing like Claypool. And i wouldnt call his playing "funky" or "jazzy" because he slaps and doesnt play root notes. Damn fine player, but hes nothing similiar to Claypool.
  15. What about incubus? 'fungus amongus' and 'enjoy' are similar, Not vocal wise but Dirk Lance shows a lot of inspiration from Claypool.
  16. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Check out Mr.Bungle and Faith no more
    (both bands got badass bassists)
    they don't sound all that much like Primus but you might like them anyways...

17. Yeah, I love bungle and fnm. I agree with you on the primus thing but just like early incubus, it has a slight hint of primus in it.
  18. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ok, i am ready for the repercussions of this statement...

why would anyone wanna sound like primus? it's too bad that primus sounds like primus...

not my cup o tea. :D
  19. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Acacia: Good shot there!

20. I guess everyone is intitled to their own opinion... Except for you!

Die die die die!

On a different note, I got some Bungle off Napster, and it sounds like music you'd listen to at the beach. It's aloha music IMO.