1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bands that use distortion on their vocals

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bass_drum, Jan 5, 2007.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey guys!

I'm wondering about running vocals through a small guitar amp or through a distortion pedal and a compresser or noise gate of sorts (to limit feedback). Can you guys give me soem examples of bands that I can listen to that use distortion? Can distorted vocals be sued in place of screaming?

Thanks in advance,

Justin B.

2. lowfreek

lowfreek Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Central New York
    Off the top of my head, there are two songs my band does that have distorted vox. U2's "Vertigo" and Jet's "Are You Gonna Be My Girl".
    Our singer runs a distortion pedal in the effect loop of his mic channel on the board. The pedal is at his feet, which he stomps on when needed.
    Sorry, can't give much advice on screaming, other than don't! ;)

3. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Yeah...if I do get a band that uses screaming, I'll let someone else cover that... I like having not-so-destroyed vocal cords (or folds, whatever you want to call them) thank you very much! :smug:

4. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    Deftones!!

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

First song that comes to my mind : 21st century schizoid man by King Crimson.

6. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Tool did it at least on the latest cd.

7. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    I saw a band a couple of years ago that used reverb and distortion on the vocals. They played RATM style stuff, and they did a really horrible cover of Come Together. I really suggest you don't for the sake of the audience. Have the confidence to sing properly!

8. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ministry.

9. gustav

gustav

Mar 11, 2006
    Västerås, Sweden
    yeah i also thought of king krimson. what about the strokes? they sure do something..

10. godflesh!

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    not exactly distortion:

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    +1

Exactly who I thought of when I read the thread title!

13. Joesick

Joesick

Jan 3, 2007
    Maynard does actually scream in the studio, but live he uses a lot of effects to keep the strain off his voice.

14. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Megadeth did it with Kill the King.

Really, it's not that uncommon. I don't see where there'd be a problem with you using artificial vocal distortion in lieu of shrieking. It actually might be a welcome change.

Signed,
    -certified crappy screamer

15. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Goes a long way back.
    You didn't say how distorted.
    The Cars had it sprinkled in their mixes to "undigital" the "too clean" sound, Shania's husband uses it since way back in the AC/DC Def Leppard days, Queen had it in a couple, and the ones already mentioned.

Your best bet would be to get a tube-based box OR very good simulator and just play with the thing.

16. stitchbass

stitchbass

May 20, 2006
    Virginia Water
    check out the Dillinger Escape Plan with Mike Patton EP Irony is a dead scene. quite a bit of distorted vocal noises going on there as far as I can remember. Man, why didnt they just make a whole album or 3? the other DEP singers annoy the bollocks off me, Patton and them was a match made in heaven

17. While we're one Mike Patton try Fantomas too. Also the Test Icicles use distortion on their vocals quite a bit.

18. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    King Crimson

19. Plus infinity-zillion. Ministry are awesome.

20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I dunno. Animosity was an amazing song, but Psalm 69 (the big one, apparently) did nothing for me.