1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bands that want unskilled bassists.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by The Juice, Oct 19, 2019.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    JPJ is the best musician in Zep, hands down. That might have had something to do with it. I know a lot of non-musician Zep groupies loved Page's "Hey, everybody, look at me!" style, but I could have done without a lot of it.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  2. PhatBottomBass1

PhatBottomBass1

Nov 24, 2018
    I'm listening to Cliff Burton while writing this...

When I read this a prior situation came to mind while in Austin.

Two drummers...one with a nice video, flashy and many notes...one with "the wrist", tasty fills and solid METER...!

I begged the writer for the second guy, but NO, he wanted the flash. First rehearsal the drummer was not prepared. The seriously talented and extremely cool lead guitarist and I had to explain "laying back" and how to play a lil back beat. The second rehearsal he realized that my meter was so solid on 1/16th notes, that we could move forward without a drummer!

Mr_Moo and Dr Gero like this.
  3. LoveJackBruce

LoveJackBruce

Apr 8, 2018
    I am not a Zep fan. And Noel Redding was an afterthought in the Jimi Hendrix show. I was being Extremely Sarcastic as I believe I add tremendously to the overall character of a band and having the ability to place tasteful notes between Standard notes that adds mucho flavors to the overall presentation.

Update with an example. Wheels of Fire, Sitting on top of the World. Jack's offscript bass lines made the song presentation for me.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    RBrownBass likes this.
  4. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Chuck Rainey. There's probably five or six posters here who have heard of him, but many musicians know who he is. I lean toward liking what he's done here more than I would if he'd just served the music and played whole notes.

juggahnaught, Mr_Moo and jazzykitty like this.
  5. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    This guy is serving the music, and doing it from behind a B3 instead of wasting money on a bass player.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  6. Doug4321

Doug4321

May 29, 2017
    Oregon
    I love the bass line for New Year's Day!

There are lots of straight eighths in there too which was in style at the time - punk rock like.

7. Zonked

Zonked

Jul 12, 2010
    Los Angeles

There are a lot of bands that want "standard bass playing 101" That's not the problem....

The problem is a bass player who refuses to do "standard bass playing 101" when required, because he feels the rest of the band is jealous of him outshining them.

This type of guy sees it as competition. For that reason he doesn't make a good "team Player" for me.

Tazziedevil, Dr Gero and flojob like this.
  8. Move on. Or take their money til something better comes along?

Dr Gero likes this.
  9. jetgraphics

jetgraphics

Dec 12, 2007
    Jawjuh
    Show up at an audition with a Chapman Stick touchboard.
    "Dude, that bass has too many strings!"

10. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Here's a couple of tunes that have more than whole notes defining the chord.

Here's a line I don't think the guitarist would sound very good playing.

Supportive playing here, no frills. I like the tune.

There's room for everyone.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  11. LoveJackBruce

LoveJackBruce

Apr 8, 2018
    I believe competition is a good thing. There are limits of course and should be reserved for an appropriate song where lead, bass and drums can complement each other.

Mike Whitfield likes this.
  12. LoveJackBruce

LoveJackBruce

Apr 8, 2018
    With all the people here that Hate Bass Guitarist, it's time us Bass Guitarist find creative drummers and forget the damn guitar players. Give me a pianist/organist instead. The rhythms we produce will carry the day.

Mr_Moo, RBrownBass and The Juice like this.
  13. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Clayton's lines are fine. I admit that I've given him some stick over the years, but not a lot, because I like U2. Got into them because of Blood Red Sky and their songs have stood the test of time for me, as rock goes. I do want to say that I like their old overall sound, from Boy/War to Josh Tree. And a lot of that is because The Edge isn't one of... those... guitarists. Same way I liked the Police and how Andy Summers helped create their sound. What's really interesting about that is, one of them is very polished and the other is much closer to self-taught. My ears are drawn to the balance of labor in those bands, and you don't find that in a lot of rock music.

Maybe for me it isn't so much about bands that need root-v players, but about how showy the rest of the band is in contrast.

Mr_Moo and Mike Whitfield like this.
  14. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Paul's style almost always defined the progression without any help from the usual chord instruments. He was doing that in the early-mid 60s and kept doing it up until maybe the early 80s, IMO. You can hear his Beatles playing in Another Day and Listen... Man Said. You can hear it in So Bad. His execution got better, of course.

He's been the same bassist all along.

MarkJC8, Mr_Moo, Dr Gero and 4 others like this.
  15. That aint me, bra.

RBrownBass and Mike Whitfield like this.
  16. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Great guitarist = great guitar solos.
    Great singer = great vocals.
    Great drummer = postpones getting fired.
    Great bassist = great band.

Mr_Moo, Dr Gero, Humbled and 3 others like this.
  17. alpan254

alpan254

Sep 2, 2013
    your band is only as good as your drummer

Mr_Moo, Dr Gero, Fretless1! and 3 others like this.
  18. There is a flip side to this conversation ...
    I went to a jam that some buddies put together ... "semi-private party, but call all your friends and bring a dish to share". Mostly blues and classic rock throughout the night. The bass player they teamed up with decided he was Les Claypool and proceeded to play that way through every friggin' song.

The place was pretty empty before the end of the second set.

19. PhatBottomBass1

PhatBottomBass1

Nov 24, 2018
    00U0U_h3rkIIUPl0t_600x450.jpg

20. Joined a relatively successful band years ago and I was told to copy the sequencer and NOT to stray!
    As they were recording an album at that time, I stuck it out, but resolved to leave even if it broke big....it didn't, so I ran early!!