1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bands that want unskilled bassists.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by The Juice, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Supporting Member

"Massive wall of riff". I like that. The term, not the actual thing. Although I certainly do like the actual massive wall of riff, as well. Playing Crossroads with 3 guitarists, keyboards, harmonica, and tenor Sax, for example. (Don't laugh! It happens! So many solos!) Anyway, I'm going to adopt that term into my musical vocabulary. Thank you.

Mr_Moo and JimmyM like this.
  2. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    The bands that want unskilled bassist are the most ones, because they want the bassist play only standart lines and don't interfere the lines of guitars and keyboards. The vocals also want the the less bass the better.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    In a way I get that, because there are a heck of a lot of young bassists with a lot of skills eager to show them off at every single opportunity. I get that, too...I was one of them at one time, and today there are even more honing their Youtube skills with a worldwide audience. Didn't take me long to realize that sometimes what I was doing was clunking up the joint, too, although I certainly had my moments of brilliance :D But you just can't be soloing constantly. Someone has to comp, otherwise the music's gone. When it's your turn to go nuts, please do so. When it's not, show some respect for the other people you work with.

Stumbo, Mr_Moo and nilorius like this.
  4. Painful enough when one of the normally decorative instruments, such as guitar, loses the plot. So much more painful when one of the core instruments does this.

Perhaps that's part of why they get so nervous when we show signs of getting 'artistic'.

5. Nailed it

6. Gringo Basso

Gringo Basso

Aug 26, 2016
    And he married one of the most beautiful women in the world...poor guy

7. Tazziedevil

Tazziedevil

Apr 2, 2019
    Tasmania
    He is in one of the most popular rock bands in history, is paid handsomely to make music, has a custom signature bass Fender made just for him, married to a beautiful supermodel.

Yeah, not bad for an "unskilled, root - fifth" bassist.

PhatBottomBass1 and PillO like this.
  8. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    And that works for probably 90% of the rock music most of us grew up listening to. I completely understand how a decent keyboardist could easily replace most of us, as the requirements are so very minimal, save the vague and subjective references to "tone" and "grooove". And I get why bassists who play minimal roles in their band's sound tend to spend a lot of time talking about tone, groove and time. It sometimes IS difficult to play a simple part easily, musically and repetitively without losing concentration.

What I don't get is how/why the bassists here, who already have available a lifetime's worth of music that falls into their listening tastes, go out of their way to bash and condemn the 10% of music that they could just completely ignore and allow others to listen to in peace. That's what's happening here.

I think some of the dissent with the occasional display of musicianship from bass players comes from people who spend a lot of time in cover bands. If you're playing somebody else's rock music, yes, you may as well entertain the audience by getting it as close as possible to the studio recording or some other iconic take. That's what your crowd is paying for. I get that. But of those bassists who also play and write original tunes, what do you sound like then? Do you write music that, when properly served by the bassist, naturally involves a need for more training than our favorite rock tunes?

PillO likes this.
  9. PhatBottomBass1

PhatBottomBass1

Nov 24, 2018
    It sometimes IS difficult to play a simple part easily, musically and repetitively without losing concentration.

What I don't get is how/why the bassists here, who already have available a lifetime's worth of music that falls into their listening tastes, go out of their way to bash and condemn the 10% of music that they could just completely ignore and allow others to listen to in peace. That's what's happening here.

This Chris LeDoux is a good example...

If your meter/timing sucks and you rush or drag you will have a difficult time playing this simple Bass part well, and it is the pulse and foundation of a track a lot of women really like...

Remember why you got into playing in a band??

10. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Yes, I do, but I don't think I've ever shared it on TB. Well, here goes...

To make music that I enjoy listening to. I already had a woman when I started playing.

smeet, gebass6 and PhatBottomBass1 like this.
  11. PhatBottomBass1

PhatBottomBass1

Nov 24, 2018
    Nice, but your mother didn't count. Thanks for sharing!

12. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    But yours does. To 12! Ask how I know...

BTW, this is a perfect example of the intolerance in today's music

PhatBottomBass1 likes this.
  13. PhatBottomBass1

PhatBottomBass1

Nov 24, 2018
    Yes...my mother was my steady when I was paying for my first car with gig proceeds in high school...my gf's were kinda transitory at that time "if ya know what I mean??" ;)