1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bands that want unskilled bassists.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by The Juice, Oct 19, 2019.

1. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    i read the post...its the thread title, which are usually a summary of an OPs thoughts, is where the correlation is

Dr Gero, Evil Funk, BOOG and 2 others like this.
  2. Is it, or is it predicated on a knee jerk reaction? I made my case already.

3. Correlation does not equal causation. * double post.

4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I hear you OP. I see guys in my area that do the same thing.
    P bass w/flats, Ampeg boomy tone and boring playing.

5. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    true,but can also be not an optimal choice of words for readers..........not the point of the thread, anyway, carry on

LP Custom and BOOG like this.
  6. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I was told by a teacher that in modern western music Bass a rythym instrument.
    If you want to solo learn the guitar:help:

Dr Gero and The Juice like this.
  7. I can respect this troll post; it’s much more subtle than the other guys.

8. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    Perhaps some bands are diplomatically limiting the damage.

Dr Gero, JRA, Mike Whitfield and 2 others like this.
  9. Because music is all about following rules.

Evil Funk, Wizzu and Mike Whitfield like this.
  10. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    back on topic: there have been times in my life where someone wants to hire me based on all the stuff that I can do, but doesnt want me to do it

One of the reasons why many bassists gravitate towards funk: Funk is kind of the bass players blues. Ever visit Funk discussion groups on Facebook? Its all about the bass, folks (most non musicians), posting pics of bassists and associated discussions much the same way Blues discussion groups post guitarists. Funk allows for creative bass embellishment (if done tastefully) much in the same way blues shuffles do for guitarists......Often, guitarists will do funk songs, but only if they feature guitar in some way....they have no problem doing SRVs version of "Superstition" but often will veto a song like "Slide" by Slave......they want bassists to play the simple parts, to ZZ Top's "La Grange" but are often very resistant to playing simple parts themselves....Just pointing out the hypocrisy that many guitarists seem to exhibit

Ggeorges, Dr Gero, Mr_Moo and 7 others like this.
  11. That was hilarious. LMAO.

Dr Gero and danesdad like this.
  12. Interesting observation. Ive noticed that when auditioning for bands, it’s a-lot easier to get a bass player that will play what the consensus of the established hierarchy wants than it is to get a rhythm guitarist to do the same thing.

13. Ask any post modern noise rocker that....

14. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    It's a typical TB reaction when the topic comes up. Instead of arguing to the point, some get overly defensive.

Like if you complained about any and all restaurants in your town only serving steaks, and those steaks are fried shoe soles, there's bound to be someone chipping in to say they love steaks.

Your point

Their head

15. ruju

ruju

Dec 9, 2017
    Ontario,Canada
    Or maybe he's playing for the song, not himself. That takes alot of discipline, something most amateur players lack.

16. You are not wrong. And as for Talk Bass, this is typical. The usual suspects chime in with their opinions often unrelated to the actual thread topic. Watch. We will go from an irrelevant discussion about "roots vs. wankery" to "tubes are better than solid state. Mark my words.:D

Mr_Moo, knight of ni and The Juice like this.
  17. MJ_Sotti

MJ_Sotti formerly "Mike in Chicago" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    I saw a band last night, 2 latina singers, one played acoustic, one played mandolin they were so great I was melting. I was a quivering mass of goo. A mix of Mexican music and hip hop, back and forth between Spanish and English. They had a bass player that didn't leave the minor penatonic, and he was so dead on, his groove was killer. Great tone too. And a real nice kid. Not one clam. Not a one. They had a white kid playing drums from the band before (he was the guitar player in that band) he was ok, but overplayed a little of course because he's a guitar player too.

Then for the last two or three, they bring up the hipster drummer from the band before to play conga. He of course went berserk with the "hey look at me, I can play LP too" crap, beating the snot out of the drum, waving his arms and way over doing it.

Totally killed the vibe.

I guess where I'm going with this, is there's a wrench for every nut. Adam Clayton isn't the greatest but for over simple anthem stuff like that, that's what works. All the yuppie drunks want 20 minutes of
    "with or without you"...it's sing along with bone-o time.

And that fills Soldier Field 3 or 4 times whenever they come around.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Dr Gero, pcake, danesdad and 4 others like this.
  18. What do you have against steak? When properly prepared, they are delicious.

19. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Trolling it may appear to be.
    It is what I was told ... I felt a knife in my heart . At the time I was being encouraged to come up with basslines and was told they were to busy, that I needed to simplify them. :woot:

Sachelis and The Juice like this.
  20. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    For me this depends on the situation....if I’m more of a side man or fill in, and your paying me something decent, Ill sit in the background and play however you want me to all night. Now if I’m a full member of the group, I’ll expect an equal voice and control over my sound and style.