1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bands that want unskilled bassists.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by The Juice, Oct 19, 2019.

1. What’s wrong with connecting with those who share the same sentiments as you. My post wasn't inherently insulting. Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean you have to insult me, dude. I’m in a very good band by the way, and yes I'm looking to make another. Ill let you know.

2. Bent77

Bent77 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    It’s interesting how these threads often throw Clayton under the bus

What an example he should be for the rest of us keyboard heroes. He has made millions playing bass and has kept his face out of the mess that often follows with fame.
    He has far exceeded what any of us could hope to obtain

3. Im in the process of that. I already have some members lined up.

4. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    He's crying all the way to bank from the sold out shows on U2's global tour.

Dr Gero and Mike Whitfield like this.
  5. Bent77

Bent77 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    He’s probably happy since he doesn’t read silly threads on TB

:roflmao:

Tekkers, MarkJC8, Dr Gero and 5 others like this.
  6. The only negative experiences I've had with issues tied to overplaying are in bands where everything is already too loud. It's already a competition for sonic space and then people (myself included) are trying to get their little embellishments on the song.

I'm of the opinion that if you find a band willing to practice at a low volume, you'll find a band that respects sonic space, the various instrument's roles, and by extension, the player's creativity.

Dr Gero, ak56, chuckNC and 2 others like this.
  7. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    That has not ever happened to me here ;-)

Seriously, I get what you're saying, and you are right that this is fairly prevalent. But thankfully, there are a lot of good players who do get what the bass has to offer and so sometimes you just have to keep moving until you find that group of players that will respect you as a player and creative contributor. And that kind of collaboration is a whole lot of fun.

Dr Gero, JRA, Wisebass and 3 others like this.
  8. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I’m not a agreeing/disagreeing with you or anyone here but you seem a little irked.

I saw you say that people can get nasty here on TB, and it’s true. But you seem to be contributing to the nasty a little. At the end of the day; we’re all friends on here. We all play bass. Some people agree, some people disagree. Nobody is “trolling” you because they have a different view on the topic.

It’s all good bro :D

9. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

upload_2019-10-20_8-41-51.jpeg

10. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    that's like buying a car and asking them to put old tires on it.
    however, a good band is the sum of it's parts. And sometimes simple is the best answer. There are certainly bands that have bass players that tragically overplay.

Dr Gero, JRA and Mike Whitfield like this.
  11. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    +1

He's financially successful, I'd love to have his money. I wouldn't want to play bass like him.

aekisz, smeet and DrMole like this.
  12. skaine

skaine

Dec 11, 2014
    Its like builders, who want to build the building without or cheap foundation. Yeah great idea :)

Theres another word for that. The bass player is like a father, you feel his/her absence when hes not around. ;)

13. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr “...play I some music...” Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ

If you know of any working bands like this in New Jersey that need a bass player, tell them to message me. That’s is exactly the kind of situation I’m looking for.

14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I think part of it might be motivated by far too many Jaco channelers and slap&clank artistes auditioning for bass chairs. I’ve been a bass player for almost my entire life and even I’m not crazy about a lot of what bass has gotten into over the last 25 or so years.

Thing is, bass has a role. And it’s a critical role in music. And there’s a difference between trying to expand the envelope and fundamentally redefining what the role of our instrument is within the broader context just because somebody got really good at the more traditional role and is now bored and looking for something else to do.

However, that role is still vital and isn't going to change just because we sometimes get tired of it. And I think that’s why we keep getting firmly pushed back to our traditional function whenever we stray too far or too often away from it. We’re needed there.

My feeling is if you’re bored with what a bass does and aren’t finding it inspirational or fun any more, then the time has either come to (a) consider adding a second instrument to your skill set; or (b) taking on what to me is the biggest challenge for most bass players: mastering the ability to sing well and play bass simultaneously.

Either doubling or singing (especially singing) will drastically up your value on the market and not annoy people the way constantly straying out of your lane and playing “lead” bass often does.

Just my tuppence. Feel free to disagree.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    MarkJC8, Dr Gero, Sachelis and 12 others like this.
  15. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    My guitar player summed it up for me quite well. He told me that bass players are like the offensive line of football. You just have to play it just right, if you're not playing right it sticks out like a sore thumb.

As long as it serves the songs(play in case of football), you're good!

Dr Gero, chuckNC and JLY like this.
  16. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Bands that play doom metal and something like that and bands with 2 guitarists that are leaders.

The Juice likes this.
  17. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Mr Adam C. doesn't qualify for the op's description because his mids weren't rolled off, he always had a most Gorgeous Sound, the band being not sonically cluttered helps. Lotsa these classic Brits have good bass production The Smith's are another good example, even Duran Duran, a nice bass sound at least.

The Juice likes this.
  18. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    thats why I didnt continue the debate about his use of the word "Unskilled" in the thread title.....I sensed heat; but I don't think it was necessarily aimed at me in the form of confrontation.....OP has reached an impasse as a band-member instead of band-leader and is just venting - I totally get that......I build bands around me, and play with others only as a hired-gun....sounds like he's ready to travel that path and is looking for confirmation from others if its an actual thing among players or self/ego....its always a little of both (ego isnt a taboo word - its a static concept and some players use it to their advantage. The best entertaining dynamic lead vocalist/front-persons all have some type of ego)

Mike Whitfield and The Juice like this.
  19. Im talking about original bands for clarification. Not all of us play for money, but for the art itself.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  20. Duran Durans bassist was great. Rio!!!!!

comatosedragon likes this.