1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bands that want unskilled bassists.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by The Juice, Oct 19, 2019.

1. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    All I have to add is that I love Adam Clayton's work. It's not hard to play, but his lines are both cool sounding and in service to the song and his tone is lovely.

2. His tone is good.

Dr Gero likes this.
  3. Nothing will get a bassist to willingly play simpler as effectively as him/her trying to sing and play bass at the same time. :) LOL.

4. skaine

skaine

Dec 11, 2014
    Exactly.. Or maybe something like this.

Dr Gero, John_Nicholas, JRA and 2 others like this.
  5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I love to piss off bands like that … I show up and play like this … I detest Arrogant controlling guitarists …

6. So, you went to an audition, overplayed, were too loud, and blew it?

Or, were told by your band mates that you're too loud, over play, and you didn't like that?

Dr Gero and Afc70 like this.
  7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado

8. No, I didn't know either. I really have to make more of an effort to keep up with the new bands.

Max Bogosity likes this.
  9. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr “...play I some music...” Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ
    I’m a little older and used to play for art itself and the pure enjoyment of making new music. Now I’d like to get paid.

Fretless1! likes this.
  10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Didn't we have this discussion just a few weeks ago? And many times before that?

My take is this: Many bands that are not pro outfits are just a mish-mash of players with widely divergent tastes and experience. I once played in a C&W band with a drummer who used a double bass North kit and was into Rush, not Hank Williams or even Hank Jr.

[​IMG]

Often there is one or two guys who are there just to be able to play any kind of gig, period, with no real interest or background in the music we are playing. That can lead to some really inappropriate playing, like shred metal solos on "Wonderful Tonight" or a drum solo on "Take It Easy" :meh:

These bands are just musically insecure and get spooked if you play something they are not expecting, even if that's the bass part straight off the record. They might be so used to bassists who can't play their way out of a paper bag that they feel the need to dictate, like when the guitarist has to buy his girlfriend a bass and teach her to play because they can't find anybody else. They might have had bad experiences with insecure or inexperienced bassists who play every lick they know in 8 bars. Once someone told me to "just do whatever it is that you bass players do" :roflmao: Then again, it could just be a control freak situation due to their insecurity, like the C&W band I was in that played every single song in G because the bandleader had no idea what a capo was :banghead:

Dr Gero, Mr_Moo and The Juice like this.
  11. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I didnt know either

12. Thanks for the clarification, four pages in. And get your nose out of the air about that "playing for the art" thing. That's just something people who can't make money with their music like to say.

I will still play for "the music", I can do that at home or at a rehearsal with friends. But not when somebody else is making money off of it.

Dr Gero, JRA and Mike Whitfield like this.
  13. I ran into this with my last band. It was an americana band so the bass parts needed to be simple, but any time I did anything more than hold roots for whole notes, I was overpaying. We had a song where the rest of the band wanted a melodic bass line, so I wrote something simple that fit the song. But as soon as we played it live the singer would essentially creep that part and just hammer on her guitar and then accuse me of messing everyone up. If the bass was audible on stage I was accused of playing too loud, once she even told me I needed to learn what dynamics were, after a show where I was running straight into the PA with no control over how boomy the sound guy made me. If I played quieter the sound guy would turn me up and I was blamed for playing too loud. I think the singer wanted an extra body in the background so she could charge venues more. Long story short, I'm now in a different band, the drummer quit not long after I did.

Mr_Moo, Mike Whitfield and The Juice like this.
  14. Assumptions.

15. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    It’s not the instrument, it’s the individual. Wanking for the sake of it is a personal choice, some folks crave the attention it brings, some are content to serve the song. I wank when there’s room to do so but i’m not obsessed with anything but serving the song.
    As for being asked or encouraged to be a boring bass player? It must be a regional thing and in a region i’ve never been to because in my entire life i’ve never been asked or encouraged to be a boring bass player. Early on i got told by band leaders what they wanted and called out if i didn't deliver or over delivered, but I’ve never been asked to be a boring bass player.

16. Okay.... No offense but money isnt everything. It’s nice but not all of us want to placate for a paycheck... Just ask any of the experimental Jazz players on this forum. Some people just like to entertain people for the random noises they make. You assume too much. Im pretty sure the local communist punk band from Seattle doesn't care about a paycheck either.

17. I know a drummer who looks like a younger version of that guy.

1bassplayinfool likes this.
  18. Ive noticed this trend.

19. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
  20. Except for the first couple of bands I was in, I have always been the BL, drum tech sometimes guitar tech,owned the PA and trained the sound guys bought a 28' truck to haul equipment had practice place at my house,bought lites booked gigs and dealt with management, oh yeah, and played bass and some vocals. and there were still times I was seen as just the bass player! But I loved every minute of it

Oddball1971 and Mr_Moo like this.