Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bands whose singer's voice changed when producers changed

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    anyone else notice the change of timbre in, say, anthony kiedis when the chili peppers switched from michael beinhorn to rick rubin? listen to anything off of mother's milk and then anything off of blood sugar sex magik and see if you hear it, too.

another band i've noticed with is tool. maynard sounds different on aenima with david bottril versus on undertow (don't know that producer off the top of my head).

any others?

2. Cant think of any off the top of my head.
    I think its probably to do with the direction the band is going in. Mothers milk was more punkish, while BSSM had more of a laid back, funky grooving vibe to it.

Same with tool. I think the band changed quite alot between albums. Aenima was where they had the more artsy style to things, while undertow was much more straight forward, and more raw sounding. Aenima was very polished IMO

3. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I think Maynards voice changed for the better.Could it be because his voice just got deeper as he got older?

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Rubin covers Kiedis' lisp better.

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    The reason why Kiedis sounded better is because he couldnt sing at all. They had to do hundreds of takes for "under the bridge" to make it sound like he could sing. I remember Rubin saying somehting like "come on, I know you've got it in you..." Now he's been working with a vocal teacher for years and his singing is much improved but hes still constantly out of key live.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ruben is an example of a producer who takes a personal interest in the band.

Maynard's new voice = compression + pitch correction.

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

how sure of this are you?

...no one's able to think of anyone else!? :bawl:

i also noticed that cedric from the mars volta sounds more articulate with that band than with at the drive in.

...now i just need to mention radiohead and i will have scored the "matt till hat-trick"! :p

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Eh, I heard a few people mention Maynard uses pitch correction now... it really sounds like it on the new APC stuff. There is a plastic feeling over the entire thing... maybe it's just the overload of compression... I'm not sure. Could be just a rumor going around, I haven't seen it in writing.

9. uh, i think we might have forgotten about one of the biggest bands in the world, if not THE biggest, Metallica. After they signed with Bob Rock, James's voice never stopped mellowing out. they kind of lost that. . . i'll call it, fire? That, coupled with Cliff dying, (yes he's overrated but the man could play) made them the alternative-style, mainstream, sad band they are today. . .

10. I dont think maynard uses pitch correction. He sounds pretty damn good live IMO.