Bands with 2 bass players

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 420bassplyr, Jan 24, 2018.

1. So I've seen bands with 2 drummers, percussion, 2+ guitars, and after watching so many talented bass players over lapping bass lines to create a groove to perform a solo should be a testament as how 2 basses could provide a larger dynamic to a musical composition. .. In all genres of music i believe

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I was in an experimental jam band and we had two bassists. I covered the bottom with fat sustain and chords. The other played up the neck more lead like..it was killer.

3. Sweet! That's progression!

4. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Me too - we traded off the bass roles and sometimes 'doubled' one or the other - every bass player should do this as it helps define the role each can have in an ensemble. I even had a one night performance ensemble called "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" where every instrument was a bass instrument (tuba, tympani drum, electric bass, upright bass, baritone guitar, bari-sax) and all improv with the concept of 'the ocean depths'.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  5. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    Dumpstaphunk has two bass players.

6. I'll check them out

7. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    Maybe Ned’s atomic dustbin

pcake, stigbeve, Lo-E and 11 others like this.
  8. its played in rotation on like every radio station... I love the name!!

9. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    One of my favorite local bands in the mid-80s was Paisley Jungle, a two-bass, no guitar band, though one of the basses was strung piccolo (or maybe higher).

I wish there was more of their stuff on YouTube. At least I still have their LP.

10. shadowrider

shadowrider Gold Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    The "double trio" incarnation of King Crimson: 2 drummers, 2 guitars and 2 bassists (Tony Levin and Trey Gunn -- playing bass lines using various combinations of bass guitars, Warr guitars and Chapman Sticks...)?

pcake, B-Mac, Papazita and 5 others like this.
  11. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    Then there was Ornette Coleman's double quartet with both Charlie Haden and Scott LaFaro, most famously heard on the Free Jazz album.

12. markbvt

markbvt

Jan 4, 2018
    Ned’s Atomic Dustbin is the band that immediately springs to mind. But there are also plenty of songs by The Cure that feature Simon Gallup on regular 4-string bass and Robert Smith or one of the other band members playing a Fender Bass VI (and in the case of “Primary,” just two P-basses, no guitar).

—mark

13. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    the ruins

Julian G and bassfran like this.
  14. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    James Brown

knumbskull likes this.
  15. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    10_Saxophones_and_2_Basses.jpg

wmmj likes this.
  16. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    Makes me think of this video

17. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    Unfortunately I assure you no one here ever heard of us but years ago I had a punk band that experimented with having 2 bass players for a short time. I tend to write melodic lines anyway, so I just pushed my parts generally farther up the neck while the other guy tended to hold down the bottom. Of course at times we’d switch or both go low and really punch ‘em in the gut - maybe have him w/ distortion so there was still some delineation between parts.

Unfortunately that didn’t last long and we were soon back to a traditional line-up. I really enjoyed the challenge tho.

I hadn’t thought of that project for quite a while - writing about it now makes we kind of curious to try it again. I love the idea of challenging myself with a whole new set of restrictions and challenges. Def have to be very aware of what both parts are doing, or it can decend into bassy, wobbly trash very quickly.

Hmmm.....

18. oranje

oranje Living deliciously Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    San Diego
    Deadbolt! "Scariest band in the world" two bassists, same notes, the wall of thunder.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    reno88 likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021