Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bands with a strong bass presense

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Vince S., Jan 7, 2004.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    What are some bands with a strong presence of the bass? I'm thinking of the Red Hot Chili Peppers for example, where the bass really stands out and pulls the songs together very well.

2. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    No Doubt, and you know it.

3. ChildoftheKorn

ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    IL
    86' and older metallica
    R.I.P Cliff

4. Primus
    Mudvayne
    Limp Bizkit - Mainly older, like "3 dollar bill yalls" and some on "Significant Other"

5. I think audioslave and rage against the machine (ok fine Tim commerford) really have a strong bass presance in them, especially on ratm's new dvd.
    i think nathen east era clapton is good (also east's other band fourplay has a strong bass presence)
    i think a lot of blues music in general has a strong bass presence, sorry i can't give any real specifics, but i think just about any blues band worth their weight in salt has a strong bass presance. (ok blues bands after 1950's when the electric bass was invented)
    Charlie

6. Cave In
    The Police
    Elvis Costello & The Attractions
    Joy Division
    Tool

7. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    the new rage dvd has the strongest bass I've ever heard! It buries the guitar...
    Other bands...
    tool
    one dimensional man
    deftones... if you can hear it the bass is loud

8. Lagwagon, Blind Mellon, Transatlantic, Peter Gabriel (Tony Levin rules) etc..

9. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The Jam
    Iron Maiden
    Rancid (damn!....that's some "present" bass.)
    Lagwagon (Music Man fingerstyle I believe)
    Chevelle (Simple lines but a great "present" tone.)
    Primus (of course)
    Robert Randolph and The Family Band!
    No Doubt
    Peppers
    The Clash (kinda...bass isn't all that loud but the bass line/melody is interesting)
    STP
    Rush
    YES

a whole bunch more.
    -B-

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
  11. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Dream Theater
    Queen
    Cream

12. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Spinal Tap, Especially on "Big Bottom":D

13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Most well-known electric-bass playing jazz bassists who have their own band :)
    + many of those written before and I would add that even though I hate pop, many bands hire good bassists and have strong an present bass

14. Pretty much the entire nu-metal genre is built around a strong bass presence.

15. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

Another vote for Stone Temple Pilots. Robert DeLeo plays a lot of really cool Motown-inspired lines that make a big difference to the songs, in my opinion.

I'm not a fan of most ska, but the bassline seems very important to that style, especially since the guitars are mostly playing upstroke rhythm parts.

I just heard a song by Lifehouse on the radio last night - "Hanging by a Moment" or something like that. Don't know much about them, but the bass on this particular song was really vital in my opinion. A good example of how the bass can define chords in a song.

16. All Motown with Jamerson on bass has a very strong bass presense. Tower Of Power has some very cool songs that are almost based on a bass riff (What is hip for instance) all TOP with Rocco Prestia playing bass are worth the listen (especially if it's Rocco togheter with Garibaldi, the greatest rhythem section on earth IMO)

17. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Uh...the flecktones.

18. TurboRawker

TurboRawker Guest

Oct 23, 2003
    So. Car.
    Slick Shoes has a lot of bass volume.