Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bands with bad attitudes

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by xcental34x, Nov 14, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I just got finished playing a show tonight, and so when I get there, I'm told, you guys are going to play second, since you have more songs than the Modern Day Tragedy, another band playing tonight. Well The Modern Day Tragedy was also told their playing second. I show up early, and soon 3/4s of this other band do. When we learn of the dilenma, the show promoters compromise, whichever band's members show up first, they play first. I get word from a member of another band that The Modern Day Tragedy refuses to play first because "they set the show up." They drive off to meet up with the head booker to complain. Next thing I hear is that because they are giving an attitude about possibly playing first, we will play first get to play longer, because the Modern Day Tragedy was ordered to cut one song from their set.

We ended up playing first. Well, we finish playing, and their guitarist (whom I've played with in a previous band and think is bad news) comes and ask to borrow some cables because his were stolen. So I let him use them. After they play, I remember to ask for them back. He tells me to check on his amp. They aren't there. He claims "Someone must have stole them." I doubt that story.

When I got home I was checking some local music forums, and read that some people were upset, saying The Modern Day Tragedy got "screwed" because they were told to they only have one song left. If people only knew..... :rollno:

2. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    The Modern Day tragedy indeed...

3. sorry about your cables mate!

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Sounds like a sucky booking agent. Stuff like that happens alll the time. So much so, that whenever we sign up for a gig involving multiple bands, our contract says we get notified "in advance" of who the bands are and what time slots they have. That essentiallly forces the booking people to get their act together, and keep it together. There's a strongly worded clause that says if anything changes and they don't let us know, we can back out and still get paid. So far we haven't had to use it. :)

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Wel, these shows aren't the most professional gigs one can play. The venue is a local skatepark that holds local shows every weekend or so. The crowds are mostly high school kids who are into the alternative/underground music scene.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    My God! MDT reminds me of an Atlanta band called Ovid. Those guys were something else! They were the BIGGEST stars you'd never heard of! :rollno:

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That sounds like a good clause to have!!!

Most of my experience with multi-band shows has been positive. I've met a few "stars" and it's always nice to hand them their ass (especially if you are going on before them). The thing that irks me is when bands take liberty with time. It's one thing if your playing an outdoor show that doesn't have a predetermined end-time, but clubs usually have designated times when they HAVE TO CLOSE.

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I think that clown owes you some cables. If you loaned me cables and they got stolen while in my care, I would have you some new ones just as soon as I could get down to the music store. If you loaned me cables I wouldn't ask you to go fetch them, either, for that matter. If he has no interest in making things good, I'd make that "bad news" label official and apply it to him liberally. :scowl:

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I agree, if Im borrowing something, anything that happens to it is my responsibility while its in my possesion. Its his fault they got stolen if he left them on his amp without watching them and its his responsibility to pay you back.

As far as booking, get on the ball and book a show. Tell the manager about this BS with that band and you'll find that they wont be getting as many gigs around you guys.

10. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, don't know if that'll do anything though. A while back I was in a band with Gary Allman (cousin of the Allman's), and we were opening for Deep Purple for a while, and Jon Lord's roadies stole a whole bunch of our stuff on the last night of the tour, including Gary's keyboard and one of my amps. We tried to get them back, and ultimately failed. So we tried the "bad publicity" thing, and the result was that people just laughed it off. It's like people (in and outside the industry) "expect" rock stars to behave that way. Kinda sucks. So that's why we do legal contracts "up front" now, so we're covered just in case anything like that happens. 'Course stealing someone's board or amp is a little different from taking a few cables, but still... It's the practical aspects that count, in my experience. If you value your gear, make sure it's "tied to something", or someone's keeping an eye on it. If you're loaning cables and stuff to people, make them give you a deposit while they're holding them. Kinda sucks having to do that, and tends to make you look like a hard-ass, but the harsh reality is that at the end of the day, you're either going to have your cables, or you're not. Anyone who's been in the biz for a while won't bat an eyelash at that kind of request, 'cause if they forgot their gear, it's their fault in the first place, and it's entirely unfair of them to foist any uncertainty on you or your band. If you were in the construction business and someone wanted to borrow your air compressor or your Makita tools, wouldn't you want to be reasonably sure you'll get them back? Sure you would. :)

11. I was in a situation not long ago where, at a 5 band show, none of the other 4 bands showed up with any equipment. However, in good spirits, we let all four bands use our entire backline out of sheer goodwill. Then, during our set, our guitarist broke a guitar string and his backup had been stolen the week before. So we asked on stage if anyone would lend us a guitar, and the reply from the other bands was "**** off", "you wish" and so on. Now, not only was this a lack of mutual respect as far as musicians go, the show was supposed to be a punk/hardcore gig where emphasis is placed on helping each other out. So, since noone gave us another guitar, we were left to either stop the set, or re-string (on a floyd rose). We chose the latter option, all professionalism lost. Re-stringing took a good 5 minutes of silence. Then, after our set, the last band playing decided to have a fiddle with my rig and turned the gain up so loud and slammed everything up on the eq, that when he played it was so painfully loud he could have blown my cab. I ran straight over and told him i was going to turn it down. he said sorry, then proceeded to tell the entire crowd i was an "*******".

Things like this make me reluctant to help my 'local scene', because we, as a touring band, respect and value our equipment. Playing with High School bands for the good of the local area doesnt seem worth it.

12. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    On labeling
    I bought on of those cheap Brother Label making machines and have a label with my name on everything, cables included.

On Cables
    They go missing faster than ball point pens! As above, their labeled and are stored in my flight case.

On flight cases
    So you don’t have the money for flight cases ? No problem! Go to your local Salvation Army or St. Vincent DePaul thrift store and buy some hard-shell luggage. I laugh when I see bands carrying around their small, miscellaneous gear in plastic shopping bags and wonder why stuff goes missing. Also, old, beat-up luggage, has a lower propensity for being stolen than musical flight cases.

On sharing the bill
    I avoid such gigs like the plague as inevitably there is missing gear and a hassle getting stuff on and off stage in a hurry. Obviously there are exceptions but there has to be a very good reason to put yourself through such a headache.

13. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Never loan anything to anyone unless you are really good friends with them. No good deed goes unpunished.

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Sweet! That's classic!

:D

16. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I've made lots of these multi-band gigs in the 16 years I've played bass and NEVER got anything stolen/broken. Why? Just a few clues:

- Hardly ever let my equipment to anybody (unless I get paid for putting my rig -and basses/effects... NEVER!-)
    - I carry a case for the effects, my rackmounted head and my two cabs, 2 basses and a my Samsomite rescue bag, with spare parts, tools and stuff. All in all, 6 or 7 pieces I keep identified and look after at everytime.

You need to be very vigilant and meticulous, but it saved me many headaches. Also, sometimes it takes me to be an ******* with other bands and I don't regret it. I have my own rules when we're dealing with MY stuff. If you don't like it, BRING YOUR OWN SH*T!!!!

ANDRUCA

17. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    It's worth the 20 investment. I put the band name on the "inside" in the input jack barrel. So no one sees it untill they steal it and you catch them when you untwist it to reveal it. It has come in handy twice for me. Another handy little tool is a Dremel. Get an engraver tip and a little vise and go to work on everything you have. Then no one can kipe it.

As for the other band. I have known plenty of bands that are to cool for their own good. But, booking the show kinda gives you seniority over a gig no matter who you are. It's kind of an unwritten rule.

Good luck.

18. Sorry man, that blows.

I'm the guy who usually will let people use cables or my rig- if they ask and seem decent enough or I know them. I was really PO'd a few months ago, I usually stuff my cables into the back of my rack case, and I also have an extension cord on my power supply. Some $^#%tard opened my rack case backstage, unplugged and unvelcro'd my extension cord and used it without my permission. Not only that- but they didn't bother to put it away either, so it was left at the bar. I ended up ducktaping it to the powersupply cord. It'll be a pain to get undone, but someone's going to expend a bit of energy to get it.

This post also reminded me of this past weekend. I like the idea of 2 or 3 band shows, and that's pretty much the norm around here. Any more on a night show is to much of a cluster$^#&. The shows have to start early, there's problems with gear, no one gets to the bar until AT LEAST 10:15.... I knew the Fri. show was going to be 4 bands, and I didn't like that idea, but we were to play 2nd. Oh-well. When we got there at 8, I found out that we were playing 2nd to last... out of 5 bands. I was getting less than happy. It was supposed to be 6 but one of the bands broke up. Then I found out the band beer deal was $1 off bottles. :mad: (pray I do not alter it any further...)This bar could be a really cool place- but as long as they're having 6 bands play I'm not playing there any time soon again (if we don't need the money). :mad:

19. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Pretty stupid to be prima donnas when you're just playing the skate park. When I was starting out I was just grateful to have a gig, never mind grousing about who was going to play first :meh:

As far as the cable theft: I recall some guys I used to hang with who would steal gear from any other band they didn't like. Their excuse was "those guys suck, so it's OK to take their stuff and use it ourselves" and besides they were always broke so theft was their only way of getting more gear :help:

Man, it's a wonder the human race has survived as long as it has :rollno:

20. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    A band who used to open for my band had a bass player with no amp. Like, not "didn't bring one"... "didn't OWN one". They just expected whoever they were playing with on the bill to let them use theirs. I didn't mind, because I liked setting up my stuff early and not having to bother setting it up between their set and ours, and because they were friends of ours, but if I didn't know them, I'd tell them to get bent. It's one thing to suggest only using 1 rig for the night to save loading effort and time, but to EXPECT it, that's an entirely different animal.

Other than the cables necessary to run my rig (power, speaker cables) I never let anyone use my cables. They either come up missing, get broken, or end up all sticky from beer spillage (I don't drink, and as such I hate to have cables and gear with beer all over them). I also never let anyone use my basses. And when someone DOES use my rig, I explain to them how the EQ works if they want to use it, but let them know that the gain and volume are set at good positions, and I make it clear that no lit cigarettes (I also do not smoke) or beer of any kind will be set down on my rig, or anywhere close to my rig. I'm not a mean guy, but I'm 6'5", about 285 lbs, and for some reason they tend to obey my wishes. :)