Bands with DJs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Jul 8, 2001.

1. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    have any of your bands got DJs? If you have what is it like because our band might be getting one.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I played on bills where another band had a scratcher, if that's what you mean. The ones I've seen don't add much except to make the band look hip. Just some odd sounds and occasional pieces of classic riffs/vocal tracks.

I sure hope these guys weren't getting paid as much as the actual musicians in the bands.
  3. Nothing can beat the combination of guitar, bass drums, but hey, you can only try it and see if you like it!
  4. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Try it-i had a practice where our lead guitarist started to scratch IHO it doesn't do much. Maybe doin sampling or something but just scratching sounds bad to me. thats all
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ...Ok, gonna stick my neck out on this one...

I don't like the idea as a whole, but I DO like Slipknots DJ Sid...I think that he adds a whole different element to the music. Of course, that's just me. Other than him, I really don't like any other DJs...
  6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    maybe a DJ would be cool in a band...

i mean you guys play your rock set and in the end you put a DJ to continue the party :D
  7. The Navigator

The Navigator

May 17, 2001
    Tucson, AZ
    a few years ago I sat in with a band for about 4 gigs over a 2 month period, and they had keyboard player/scratcher/DJ. At first I just rolleyed my eyes at the whole idea, not being very hip or nu-school myself.

But nothing gets an audience of snot-nosed teens going like an all-funk jam with drums, bass, and scratch. It was pretty badass. And fun, too.
  8. Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    I HATE DJ's. My girlfriend had a huge crush on a local DJ before we started going out. I used to have to watch them make out at the bar he worked at! So it kind of affected my view on DJ's. It's a totally lame reason for not liking them, but hey.....who cares!

DJ in my head all the time! I'm so insecure!!

100% JEALOUS
  9. A kid on my hockey team whos also a good friend of mine is a DJ. Hes pretty good for a DJ. Hes about to join his friends heavy metal band. should be interesting.
  10. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    thanx for all the input guys
  11. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I saw this Boston band called Club D'Elf with DJ Logic as a guest a few months back... KILLER stuff... it wasn't just scratching: Logic would toss in some drum loops, and he and the drummer would play off of each other ... I found it much more interesting than the simple scratching that's become de rigeur in much popular music today. Btw, I highly recommend Club D'Elf for a dose of jazzy fusion craziness.
  12. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Hi-jack thread...kinda

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I really didn't wanna make a new one. My band has an oppertunity to aquire a DJ. What could I expect from them? Should we just look for a keyboardist instead?
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    keys and DJs are totally different areas.

I don't mind DJs except when it's way overdone. Which most DJs do. Wickidity Wickiday wonk a skritityskritiy wonk. Etc.

When Primus played with DJ Disk on Videoplasty... easily the worst display of DJery ever. His violin bit was awful. It just sounded like someone who didn't know how to play violin playing out of time.